Old 07-11-2005   #61
Golden, Colorado
That was awesome JJ.

blutzski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005   #62
memorial for max

MAX'S MEMORIAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Well chunderlovers, here it is!
You are all invited to be members of the Gang formerly known as the Chunderposse!! We will be having the service/memorial at HIGH noon, Saturday july 16th, at Charlie's (c) hole, behind the library, 13th st, Steamboat springs. This will be followed by the Chunder-bash, a gathering to celebrate Max, at 425 Yahmonite (my house), at the intersection with 9th st. downtown. Please call 970-870-0515 with questions.
Pictures and memories of Max
Chunder memorobilia
smiles and tears
I was going to say food and drink- but max's ghost whispered something about "Gigante, you cheap bastard, throwing my final party and you cant even buy brats or burgers?!!" so, we will have some eats for all, please call if you want to assist. we have a fire ring, horseshoes, bocci, and plenty of space. See ya there

clevedave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005   #63
Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 94
Send a message via Yahoo to Gary E
That was an awesome post choad..LOL,god I'm gonna miss that face when the shit hit the fan...Love ya sully,gonna miss the biking,paddling and nights on the town...You lived large hope I can live as big as you did...
Gary E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005   #64
This is heartbreaking news. I was lucky enough to become friends with Max when I lived in Steamboat from 95-99. He was someone you could always count on, no matter what the situation. I loved how he could rile up ANYONE, and immediately smooth it over with his INFECTIOUS smile...

If you were lucky enough to go on a road trip with him, you would know MAX was the trip. He had a way of making everything fun, and ANY outing with him was a guaranteed great time...

Max Sullivan was the most incredible person I've ever known. And I'm a better person because of it...

Leaving from Detroit tomorrow to pay my respects...
A.Harland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005   #65
how saddened i was to hear the news saturday night about max. i've been in a state of shock thinking about his loss. max was one of my oldest friends. i knew our freshman year after i hung his snoopy and we got in our first fistfight we would be friends for a long time. after that i had the good fortune to spend the next three years as his roommate in boarding school.

most of my stories of max are not fit for print but i can tell you many of his endearing qualities were as vibrant then as they were now. the stories here remind me of just how much fun he was to be with and i could envision him doing everything that everyone shared. it made me think about the many people who were entertained for endless hours in our room during the "late night with max" sessions. i feel very lucky for the laughs he gave me. like the spring we played golf just to hit balls at the other kids on the course, or making fun of spinners at dead shows, and one of my favorites, max asking a beggar for a quarter. he was very sharp, had a fantastic sense of humor, and a genuineness you couldn't help but embrace.

we lost touch a few years after college only to reconnect this past april. (thanks erika. i hope you know how important you were to him). in the few times we got to communicate, i became aware of just how much max has grown as a man since we lost touch. you all have confirmed that for me, so thank you. how courageous and strong to come back from a neck injury like that and to still live life to the fullest every day. its inspiring.

what i've read here has been wonderful. how nice to know that he had so many great friends and lived such an exciting life. i regret not reaching him sooner and sharing more of this new world.

i am very sorry for his family. they are wonderful people and were always kind to me. i take comfort in knowing that max lived so passionately and passed doing something he loved. not many people can say that.

fly on max and say hi to harry for me.

love, justin
jglorieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005   #66
Chunder the Man

I was deeply saddened to hear about Max. He just one of those unforgettable people who had an affect on so many people. I can't remember how we we met but we somehow crossed paths, connected and had many mutal friends in Steamboat. Maybe it was becuase we both had similar Noth Face Jackets which I retired after a couple years while Max sported his for nearly a decade. How could you miss that little guy in the Green North Face going big under the lift. Somehow I earned respect from Max, maybe becuase I could give him a run for his money on the tennis court. Yes, he would still give me shit but I always felt it was in good fun as Max was true to his friends. It was always a good time with Max wether it was on hill, on the couch or sitting around a campfire. I have so many stories and good memories that keep me smiling through the sadness. You had a family here in Steamboat that loved you more that you could imagine. I am thankful we had the chance to hang out this winter. I was amazed to see how life's turn of events had changed you in many good ways. It was refreshing to be with you and your attitude towards life was infectious.

I am sad to say I will not be able to make your memorial but you will be in my thoughts as you have been all week. I can only imagine the stories that will be swapped by all the pepole that were so lucky to have known you.

Rest in Peace Max and my condolances go out to the family.

Love Holly
Holly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005   #67
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Long strange trip

Max - I don’t know where to start?? Maybe from the beginning when I first moved to steamboat for the 1997-98 winter season and got a job working as a Gondy operator. My first encounter with you was when you walked up and said “dude, give our crew a club car”. Something about you – I thought this guy is wild but cool. Before long we were hanging on the slopes – you dishing me crap for being a gondy operator but telling me to keep my job so you could style with the club car. I remember that summer – we started to check out the kayaking scene – not truly getting into it until the rivers had mellowed. We both got Kinetics from backdoor sports….ha! Lame boats but we didn’t know. Next winter was another sick season of Bear Claw festivities, riding hard and going big. Always pushing me to take my tele’s to new extremes. I guess I listened because the last day of the mountain I cut my head hucking 360’s while partying hard. After getting stitched up – I returned to the Slopeside party. When I first showed up gave me a big old hug and said “glenn dude, what happened”. I could tell you cared. That summer it was time to start stepping it up with only half a season of paddling under our belts we headed to Cross Mountain with the more experienced steamboat crew. Paddling in we were getting the “you guys are not experience enough – evil eye”. To top it off you had to try a roll and for unknown reasons had a swim in the flats just before Osterizer. People were just shaking their heads at us. You just gave me that look of no turning back now. Once in the canyon we rocked. Oh so many memories of good times. What about the Elk River where the week before the whole crew swam – then we showed up with Brendon and dialed it in. Then I was nominated to do the run down Fish Creek and swam the entire thing …..”glenn dude, what happened”. Finally we dialed all those runs in - only a year after picking up paddling. That is when I realized you were something of a different breed and were going to apply your snowboarding motto to paddling….”Go big or Go Home”. At that point I went to the South for a job but every time I returned to the boat we hung out and partied. Maybe to hard sometimes…

When we meet up at the Gauley, 2 years later it was like nothing had changed – “glenn dude, what’s up”. We partied all night and laughed about the good times. Telling me about your new posse. Most recently, we found ourselves both living in Boulder. I didn’t get to hang out with you that much but the times we did were just like the good old days.

I am very fortunate to of had the opportunity to have been your friend. Those winter and summer days were the best in my life. As I think back to those days, I keep remembering more good times – road trips in the VW Westfalia, listening to the Dead, hanging in the terrain park, partying at the summer concerts….the list goes on. Thank you for motivating me to take myself to new extremes. Thank you for asking for that club car.

These memories will live forever – you will be missed.

glreese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005   #68
I found out via an email Saturday night and let my best friend know the news a few minutes later. I attempted to tell him over the phone but could not finish the call and had to try again a bit later.

I was Max’s neighbor at boarding school. Max, Justin (see a few posts above) and I lived in the 3rd floor of an off campus dorm that was like a fraternity. It was a dump but we loved it. There were about 16 of us there but the three of us made the place. At least Max told me that once.

I was only close with Max that one year, which was our senior year. I know though that we were close enough by the end of that year that we were lifelong friends as all of you guys seem to be.

Just speaking of him in conversation has always made me smile and laugh. He was what he was, a bad ass who we all respected, admired, loved and hated, and thought of when he was not around.

I read through our high school yearbook yesterday and once again found myself laughing after reading Max’s bit.

The typical American high school yearbook, I think: you have a half or quarter of a page where you insert some baby pictures or pictures of you playing a sport that you may have excelled in at the time so that anyone who looks at the yearbook 20yrs down the road thinks that you were cool. Likewise you insert some quotes from John Denver, Ghandi, JFK, The Dead or Churchill to make you sound like you were on top of your game and like an astounding person. And you save the best quote for last. I used some lame Sinatra quote.

Max ended all his quotes with the best ever. And I think half of it is true and half was just to piss of the faculty at school:

“Take two kid, you’ll be back for more.” -Some hippie in Central Park

Max you will always make me laugh. Your price went up in ’92 and will always rise.

JVoigt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005   #69
DP/ Cinematographer
DP - cinematographer, Boulder
Paddling Since: 1978
Send a message via Skype™ to Brook
Wow..... Still in shock.....
I think a lot more people knew Max than any of us realize. I just told my fiance the sad news and she said " Chunderboy, the kayaker that always made you laugh"? .... He made us all laugh, he made me step back, take a deep breath, and laugh at myself. I think Max even started this silly little East vs. West joke which will no doubt live on for a long, long time.

Rest in Peace Max.

Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005   #70
i first met max through my girlfriend erika back in 1998 when he moved to steamboat. we made about one run with max every time we hit the mountain and max would be bored with our telemarking turns and dust us after he made sure we saw him hit one big air or spray some gaper with snow. we saw max several times a year in steamboat , but it wasn't until he moved to boulder that i really experienced max. he was a fixture in our dining room almost every week for dinner unless he was in zermat with vin or in tahoe with pamela anderson. we shared conversations ranging from the ridiculous to the reality of social injustices. max was at the university and was really opening his spectrum of thinking and understanding. we shared our worries and dislikes for the ruling regime.
i had the good fortune of introducing many of the boulder peeps to max. he was often keenly correct about his new found friends by remarking "that dude is classic" well max, it takes one to know one. you're a classic. most of the posts on this site make mention of max as the boater, biker, boarder, and flyer. i think that max having grown up in the world of marvel comics has a lot to attribute to his lack of fear and his super hero attitude. he really had a fantastical way of living his life while keeping it real and fashionably simple.
my heart goes out to max's family and many friends. allow the healing to happen and celebrate the life that max lived.
thanks for the Soulshine brah--much love and respect, chris

crweich is offline   Reply With Quote