Old 07-08-2005   #31

-Shady Rich

OsheaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005   #32
chunder posse never fogotten.....

you will be dearly missed from the early days in the boat through tonight when we were supposed to have drinks and you talk me into another gear intensive sport... i will miss the drives back from gore to the whitewood, nonstop heckling, westies and most of all the brotherhood of the original chunderposse i love you and will dearly miss you...j10

jus10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005   #33
Remember paddling with max every afternoon in the holes in Steamboat, watching him bring his LAZYBOY out onto the rocks with a case of bud and killing it. Him being so excited about all the funny shit people say in response to his posts - true chunder style. When everyone would show up after work he would leave, saying "Shit, I don't need to paddle with crowds, I own this place" and off he would go.

Truly a man's man, Vin Disiel will be saddened.

To all those who knew max you are truly better for it.

Gigante, when you get details for the memorial/party please post thanks.
Whiskey's for drinkin' and waters for fightin'
- Mark Twain
wycoloboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005   #34
Holy Shit

I had no idea till I jumped on here this morning to check the flows. I have known Max for a long time, through many different times and "eras" here in Steamboat. He was one of a kind to say the least.

I have been on many boating trips with him and he was always, well a pain in the ass! That was Max though - he was a riot to be around and had a sense of humour that was second to none. He could make light of just about any situation.

He was there when Chris Delaney died in Gore. I think I will always feel the most connected to him because of that. His number almost came up when he broke his neck and was in the Halo for months. I remember talking to him by the C-hole when he first came back to the 'Boat after his injury. He was humbled to say the least, but he got right back in there. He had a lot more appreciation for things that he may have taken for granted before that.

The Chunderposts where the best - especially for those that new it was him posting that stuff. Watching everyone get so riled up was priceless, especially since he was living in Boulder during most of that time!

We were down at a Rockies game a few weeks ago and he somehow found out. Kept trying to meet up with him at the game but we could never find each other. We couldn't figure out why he was so set on finding us. Must of called me 10 times. I can't even say how bummed I am now that we didn't hook up.

Damn it Max - you son of a bitch! Take care buddy, chirp a shot of Maker's with Delaney and know that we will miss you. You left your mark in this life, and that is more than a lot of people can say.
WspSteamboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005   #35
Lyons, 80540
Paddling Since: 1997
This is shocking news... I've had the pleasure of paddling, drinking and kicking it with Max. He loved to stir the pot and was a great guy.

RIP my friend.

Juan E Thyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005   #36

i met you in 1996. when we first met, i was skeptical. but you know that. your brash, in your face, look at me style had me overwhelmed. you showed up at my house during an episode of the simpsons. i love the simpsons. nothing was worse to me back then than a loudmouth who i didn't know fillibustering during a new simpsons episode.

that night ,however, and for whatever reason, you broke into a perfect imitation of a marmot. that was the first sign that i might possibly grow to like you. despite my, get the hell out of my living room at 7.00 p.m. on a sunday unless you shut up initial feelings, the seeds were sown for a future relationship.

I eventually grew to love this man. we ended up working together for 3 years in the 'boat, driving shuttles and working maintenance. You may have harassed me for ignoring the boating scene in lieu of phish and panic tours, but i didn't care. we all seek our unique buzz.

In 2001 i moved in with you in tahoe and we raged it for three months. You would chide me for my diet of "birdseed" at 7.00 a.m. in the morning. You'd cook you bacon, get fat and not care. You encouraged me to circumvent traditional ski pass purchasing options..........and it worked beautifully for 45 days until the day when you shrugged your shoulders and we both laughed as i caught the six month ban.........

You were fearless, both phyically and vocally. once you officially became chunderboy, the hilarity extrapolated. your ability to choose a name to specifically poke fun of yourself, proved to me and the world that you could indeed take it, as you could dish it. i came to visit you in the hamptons, and watched as chunderboy again showed no fear.....skateboarding in a halo. body surfing in a halo. verbally abusing others while confined to a halo......that took some self confidence. But i supposed you received plenty of that from the sexy nurse in the hospital.....some of you've heard that tale of straight cripple dominance.

above all, chunderboy, you were a man of the people that shared your sense of comedy, your love of life, and a tolerance to sometimes shake your head in disbelief but stick by you. it took me a short while to become one of those kindrid spirits. but i considered you a brother a long time ago. and it sucks to lose a brother.

finally, as i saw you many times poach the line at the silver bullet gondola while a hundred deep waited patiently, i'll always remember looking you in the eye, through my arnette goggles and saying, dude "if i didn't love you i'd fu&%ing hate you." well, max, my brother. i love you man. rest in peace.
drewpy1dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005   #37
I gained the "respect" of Chunderboy as a "girl" snowboarder when Mad Max saw me take the hardest digger of my snowboarding career, and I didn't even let one tear surface. Well Max, I hope I didn't let you down, but I busted several tears over the loss of you today... I am so very sad that I'll never be saying, "OH Max, you didn't really say/do that, did you??" I'll miss your humor always, your sarcasm was always appreciated in this "kind" community, and your props of me, in every way, will never be forgotten. Let it ride Max... I know you'll be cracking up my Grandfather, as well as all of our friends and families that will now have the pleasure of hanging with you. You will be missed my little buddy!!! I'll see you in the future, and you will forever be in my memories...
Little Sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005   #38
Louisville, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
I logged on to the 'buzz this morning and the first thing I noticed was the pic of chunder surfing lunch counter. "THATS WHAT THIS DUDE LOOKS LIKE!?!?" was my immediate reaction. Then I noticed the HUGE smile on his face...and it made me smile too.

Then I read the news....

I am amazed...I never met chunderboy but grew to really like him from his postings on the 'buzz...he even had me wondering at one time if he really had a timeshare with Vin Deisel...(hey, he is on his shoulders....could it be real? I thought after looking at a pic he posted) I was always amazed by his writting style...mixing eloquence with dibatchery(sp)..always laying it down...getting people so mad...loved it! Loved his sense of humor on the buzz. was really bummed when the winter came 'cause I knew he wouldn't be posting.

Then I found out about shit made me laugh all through the winter. Everytime I would see a gaper wearing jeans with gaters or one of those stupid hats...I would think of his "gaper of the week" posting.

I was really confused when someone ran his domain regeistration and found out he actually lived on the front range...but that made this guys mistique grow.

I am not at all surprised by the outpooring of admiration for chunderboy. He seemed to have a unique ability to effect everyone he crossed paths with...even online.

I will miss him around here. My thoughts are with all those who knew him personally. Your lives are so much richer for it.

Thanks to whoever posted that early picture of him. Good to see a face with a name.

RIP Chunderboy. You've left quite a legacy.
skeeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005   #39
outdoor bum
info link

Best wishes,

Once you have flown you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward,
for there you have been,and there you long to return.
Leonardo da Vinci

Info link
boulderite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005   #40
I am proud to say that i got to be part of the chunderposse. I will always remember our trips to Gore, rollin with cases of Budweiser and paintballs, lightin shiat up while listening to the ghetto boys. Knowing that he ditched Vin Deisel over some dirty dishes, I always followed his advice even if it was risky. If Max said employment was for chumps, I beleived him. He could talk me into almost anything, and once he talked me into running the meat of gore hungover in the smallest playboat around while he portaged, which led to a severe ass kicking, lost boat/paddle, and an endless hike out on railroad tracks in my socks. But I can say without a doubt that it was well worth it to stay on the chunderposse. Not only did I not want to go out like that biatch wayne chorter, but the priviledge of Max's company kept life fun and interesting, and the world is certainly a different place without him. I will miss the sense of security I got from knowing that chunderboy always got my back with his AT paddle. And none of the posse will be able to build up the hype we deserve, but hype or not, you frontrangers better keep your daughters locked up because the chundercrew never dies, and Max's legacy will keep us all striving to live life to the fullest. We'll see you at the crossroads, Max, your laid back brah crew will always cherish the pleasure of knowing you.
-(Raggedy) Andy

Kato is offline   Reply With Quote