Old 07-30-2011   #71
moab, Utah
Paddling Since: 08
adding more man-made 'stuff' to the riverbank along this already very altered corridor can have NO positive effect.

maybe we should consider those friends we have already lost due to the crap in and along the river before we consider adding to the mess. this project would not improve anything, nor would it likely even leave the landscape in similar shape, so in my mind it is just a frivolous undertaking of a bored old urbanite....

just because it's diet don't mean it's good for you!
junkshowriverchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011   #72
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Slave ,

That is an insult to Belgians ,and the French even have a put down *
`your mother is a Belgian`.He is an ex Bulgarian muppet,Bulgaria disowned him after he defected,that`s alright I have wrongly called him an Albanian before.He is indeed a dead ringer for the `Tales From The Crypt `dude.That Jeanne Claude was a real looker too- see wikipedia photo but not if you have just eaten.He doesn*t look particularly healthy but is only 76.

okay,so we can beat dead horse and making fun of some geezer*s looks is juvenile,i just wish his supporters would go see some good art,so they would get how mediocre/lame Christo is,might I suggest the Louvre,Rijksmuseum,Uffizi,Vatican,Met,MOMA,Guggenh eim,Museu Picasso,National Palace/Bellas Artes/Autonomous University in Mexico City,Dali*s museums in Figueras or St .Pete,to name but a few.Go boat Micos and visit `Las Pozas` in Xilitla ,home of surrealist eccentric Edward [ edmund?[ James.

Slave far more provocative and disturbing than any of Christo*s `work` is that avatar of yours.It*s bag pipe not meat pipe.

Please get this over with already.

cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011   #73
pnw, Washington
Originally Posted by Ed Hansen View Post
Thanks for the heads up. I look forward to many trips below the curtains.

I also look forward to this being the most likely way of getting those 5 miles of railroad cars finally moved while this project is in place. Hopefully they will stay gone after the artwork's time has passed.

I find all the opposition funny.

Worried about the rocks and banks being altered? There is a road on one side of the river and a railroad on the other. Both sides of the river have been altered severly already.

Worried about the shade changing the temperature of the water? How many dams and tunnels does that water pass through before it hits the canyon? Tell me that the temperature hasn't already been altered.

Worried about traffic concerns when cars stopping along the river to take pictures? Have you been along there on a summer day? True the amount will jump dramatically, but there are already people stopping all along the river to take pictures. I see it every time I kayak down it. At least this canyon has numourous large pullouts big enough to park mutilple rafting buses.
"Yesterday I was clever and tried to change the world. Today I am wise and try to change myself." -Rumi
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011   #74
Denver, Colorado
oops Mapplethorpe is not the dung guy,he is some gay photographer that tries to shock people... got Cincinnati all worked up....dung guy was Ofili .... got Catholics panties in a bunch....elephant not elk dung,conflated bogus Chrisco drowning post with reality...same difference really...BOTH ABSURD
Old 07-30-2011   #75
placerville, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
jeez - now bringing robert maplethorpe into this and calling him and his work absurd? some of you guys should really learn to keep your mouth shut, lest you broadcast your ignorance.
steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011   #76
Denver, Colorado
Steven,Maplethorpe was not the one being called absurd the dung guy- really the controversy surrounding it- and the whole situation were.Why are you so hyper sensitive about this stuff??Christo is not above criticism .He brings it upon himself with the scale of his projects.His art seems contrived not genuine ,but I am not opposed to him doing it like some people.I just don:t think his art is very good. Some of it is interesting but relative to the hype.... you can like him if you can call a knowledge of art and the humanities that likely far surpasses yours ignorance if you want....i have a pretty broad frame of reference and Christo simply doesn:t rate imo... i don:t like Jackson Pollock,Andy Warhol,or Joan Miro either ,but many other people do they were very successful....that*s just the way it goes
Old 07-30-2011   #77
placerville, Colorado
I shouldn't have responded to an offensive and simple-minded quote ("some gay guy who tries to shock people"), but being a fan of his I couldn't help it at that moment. One can certainly like or dislike (warhol?) whatever the fck they want. I just have learned it best in life for me to TRY and generally keep the negative opinions to myself, but i can't expect others to do the same. Bold to assume that you have more knowledge (far surpasses!) of the arts and humanities than someone you have never met, unless you are an art prof. or something, but also bold on my part to imply a stranger's ignorance. I do appreciate the fact that you have an opinion that is based on your own knowledge and taste, instead of just spewing about shit you don't really know about like some do. I just try and appreciate anything out there, even if it doesn't drastically speak to me. I tried to stay out of this thread, and will from here on out. It is certainly a dead horse, but would make a great drunken campfire topic at baileyfest.
steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011   #78
Overseas, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
I just hope the drapes don't take away from the graffiti train cars, the noisy highway, or the never ending line of commercial rafts. Stay gold Pony Boy.
eljim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011   #79
Bend, Oregon
how to float under the curtains?

I'm thinking about buying a raft to float under these curtains. Does anyone have opinions on Saturn rafts? What size oars would I need? Would open oarlocks be better or pins and clips? Would it be safe for kids?
Actually, I may just go with a kayak- what would be the best kayak for me? I'm 7'6" and weigh 438 lbs.
Vaya Con Rios!

MikeG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011   #80
Denver, Colorado

Sorry,I have gone overboard on stooging on Christo .As far as Maplethorpe; saying someone is gay is not derogatory [ offensive /simple minded[ unless there is some implication that it is bad /inferior.The guy is openly gay and proud of it.Yes ,i think there is a shock jock quality to his work,you may have a greater appreciation of it.He got brought into the conversation in reference to the santorum jesus a clear allusion to the dung madonna.I got Maplethorpe mixed up with the dung madonna artist.The connection between the two is that they both had people all worked up about public art they deemed inappropriate especially if funded by the NEA, and they happened around the same time.
Yes that was an arrogant comment.I figured you:d rip me because you were an art major or something.I just have been to a lot of museums and read way too much about the humanities and social sciences as a layman with minimal higher education.