Old 09-28-2012   #11
also, what exactly happened to 7 teacups?

paulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012   #12
Pucon Chile Paddling Since: 1990
flights and directions

This is another article ideal needed to be written. I did airfare search at bottom with results and rates.

Directions to Pucon from Santiago - This link describes it all from bussing and taxis to Pucon. Yes. It says Pucon Kayak Hostel but just leave that part out. These directions were designed for the do-it-yourselfer money saver.

Flights to Chile - I just booked 8 flights for a program I'm leading from Charlotte, Atlanta, UK, Knoxville and Toronto.

Air Canada Surprising Rates
Surprisingly found out that Air Canada was much cheaper. But Atlanta and Charlotte would have a leg north to Toronto then direct to Santiago. But save close to $500.

Getting to Pucon - Also, if you are going to Pucon checkout flying direct to Temuco. Sometimes it's not that much more and would save you a day of travel each way. By the time you taxi or bus from Santiago airport to Terminal de buses, take an overnight bus, pay for food... You might save just to fly to Temuco and us the 1.5 hour to Pucon. See Directions to Pucon link above.

Finding Cheap Fares
I got mine from Charlotte to Temuco round trip for just under $1500. Annually, I hear of one or two guests scoring a ticket for $900. Those finds are rare but they are out there. Post if you find something cool.

A. Start with the airline consolidators. Expedia, Kayak, Priceline, google "airfare consolidator."
B. Choose cheapest days of week-
Those are typically Tue, Wed and Thur. Flying on a holiday like xmas or new years can drop rates.
C. Search some of the airlines direct. Like Air Canada and AA websites.

Denver to Santiago; depart Nov 13 return Nov 28 (Changing these dates by one day seemed to add costs. thus, these are the cheapest days of that period according to best rates are $1261 with LAN + AA + TAM combos. just selecting cheapest flights gave $1399.

OK. Paul. I think I am going to work on a more organized research of this. Post what prices you find.

gohuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012   #13
Pucon Chile Paddling Since: 1990
dirtbag style living and Siete Tazas

These are great questions pretty in-depth.
First, Siete Tazas "disappearing" during the 2010 terramoto "earthquake" would be like a bony dry Oh Be Joyful disappearing during August. Yes. The trickle that was there disappeared and when interviewing the park service they claimed it was a mystery. An unknown fissure or crack was speculated. Luckily, with next season's rains and snowmelt possibly combined with sediment or who knows the over 80 cascades now run as prior.

Dirtbag living
Lots of dirtbags live in Chile and figure it out. Some find reliable work on the Futa or at the Maipo. RMOC's Josh Oberleas guides and safety boats for a Pucon rafting company (you'll need a work permit). And most notably the Demshitz and Bombflow crews annually rent apartments in Pucon.
Apartment is your cheapest route but requires an extended stay and to be on the ground to find the places. You'll need a group to make it true dirtbag, the more the dirtier. No problem finding a 2 bedroom for $300/month in Pucon. That should be good for about 20 Arkansas River guides.

Cooking is about the same as the states. Lots of grocery stores with everything you need at slightly cheaper than CO prices. Your transportation is your biggest challenge. So group up or choose a place with a shuttle service.

November House Rent Rates at $US100/week. Pucon Kayak Hostel is offering the November special for class V boaters. The ideal is to organize a group of solid boaters on the same property, share shuttles, or use the shuttle service, use communal kitchen... It's a little more than renting your own apartment but some consider the extra space, convenience and organization provided worth a few more dollars. You'll save money at PKH due to the shuttle service and cheap meal options vs eating out too much and be right on the water.

Keep Kayaking.

gohuge is offline   Reply With Quote

chile, costa rica