Old 12-30-2011   #1
Indian Hills, Colorado
Chile TR

In the doldrums of winter I thought I'd pass along a few comments about a trip to Chile this year. The purpose of the trip was not boating, but I got two days on the river in Pucon.

First: Pucon is is kayak heaven. I hope to go back.
Second: Rodrigo, owner of Kayak Pucon was awesome. I was in Pucon with my wife and while she hung out around town, Rodrigo gladly rented me a Large Burn (same as my boat here in Colorado) and guided me one afternoon and one morning. The cost for a half day rental and guide was very reasonable, Rodrigo was great to paddle with and very professional. Just how paddling should be, it was easy.
Kayak Pucon

Third: It was a bit tough being out of the water for a few months and then jumping into some Class IV+ creeks.
Kate and Dan: Kayak Pucon

Kate and Dan: Pucon Boat Day Saltos y Lagos

DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011   #2
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Sweet photo Dan!

"You know that old trees just grow stronger and old rivers grow wilder, everyday..."
ednaout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011   #3
cool stuff, just curious, how much does it cost to rent a boat down there. Just trying to compare renting vs trying to fly one down.
paulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011   #4
Indian Hills, Colorado
If memory serves, it was about $35 USD to rent a boat, paddle, skirt, helmet, drytop, drypants, etc. Maybe it was $40? Email Kayak Pucon and they'll fill you in. I think I was paying about $70 for a half day one on one guided, with gear, including a pretty fat tip. Cheaper than a half day skiing at Vail!

Kayak Pucon

They had a ton of boats to choose from, all in good condition and good gear in good condition. (I had an AT2 paddle, IR dry gear, Burn, etc). I really can't say enough about how great Rodrigo and Kayak Pucon were. Definitely a notch above the "other guys" in town.

I recommend hooking up with some people who know the area if you are paddling Pucon. Local knowledge made the Palguin super fun, instead of super tense.

If you are heading down this year, get some beta on levels. I heard that so far Pucon was pretty dry. Might head toward the Futa?
DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote