Old 09-28-2004   #1
Chile Boating Beta

Hey guys,

Going to Chile for 2 weeks with some buddies over Christmas / New Years....have a general plan for what we want to do, but some additional Beta would be appreciated......

Flying into Santiago.....then headed South first for a few days on the Futa...Then back up North for the remainder of the time in and around Pucon....

Looking for suggestions on class IV-V in those areas.........also, would like to hit some stuff on the way down and back so we don't spend entire days driving.......

Thanks in advance for any help.

MAGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004   #2
Kayak Inst./Guide
Get in touch with Nathen Sullivan. You can contact him through, he lives in pucon and has beta on pretty much any river in S.A. he also has boats,gear etc. if you need anything while your down there. a great guy to hook up with if your down there. good luck and have a great time down there its a blast.

Ritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004   #3

MAGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004   #4
Not sure if they are still alive. But on the bio near pucon. I beleive it was 91 when I was there. Just above a dam now filled there where 3 rapids the only name I remember is lave south. They where IV+ ish and there was a cool hot springs in the area also. The road I understand is now paved and the res. is a resort. But their might be some cool stuff left. peace sj
sj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007   #5
Palisade, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
I recommend the Achibueno or the Nuble. Both gorgeous, both half way between Santiago and Pucon. The Nuble might be damed (and damned) by now though...
Gtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007   #6
pucon, chile
Paddling Since: 1993
Nuble dam

Originally Posted by Gtwo View Post
I recommend the Achibueno or the Nuble. Both gorgeous, both half way between Santiago and Pucon. The Nuble might be damed (and damned) by now though...
The Nuble is planned to be dammed but last time I was there I spoke with the jefe of the work and it seems the dam will only affect the lower section which is class 2-3 and is not paddled very often. The upper which is the classic will remain unafected. How ever they are still doing a study before the start the construction so if you are asked by a man in a suit how important the river is please take the time to explain the importance of this beutiful river.
kayakchile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007   #7
in pucon talk to rodrigo hes is the man who knows all plus a super cool local. hes got anything you'd need along with boats and anything for rent. plus better beta than anyone else in the area. check him out
Kayak Pucon
jomama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007   #8
carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
you say your flying into santiago then driving to futa? that will take at least three days each way no paddling to and from santiago. you may want to revise your plan. hit the teacups first. then any of the dozens of other rivers on the way to pucon. pucon is still two long days to futa.
most who go to futa either fly at least to puerto montt, or better chaiten. or have more than 2 weeks. pucon is where you can bag lots of runs and not spend so much time driving.
talk to or rodrigo at kayak pucon either can help you out with your logistics.
have fun, maybe we'll see you there.

onefatdog is offline   Reply With Quote