Old 12-12-2008   #1
Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Chile 09! Need Advice!

We have a group of about five paddlers ranging in skill levels from solid class III to a couple guys that can run class V. We are only going to have two weeks for the trip and are trying to decide between the Futa area or Pucon.. Any recommendations as far as a guide or boat rental outfit in those two locations? Also, curious to get info. on the 22 Teacups river and if it would be possible to hit that and Pucon. Pucon Vs. Futa for our first trip to Chile???? January 09 or Feb.?? Thanks!

tobyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008   #2
Salt Lake City/Steamboat Springs, Utah
Paddling Since: 2003
I would say probably if you're ranging that much in boaters, the pucon area is what you should be looking at. Other than the rio claro, and the futa there wasn't a huge bunch to run in the time frame of 2 weeks. Pucon has so much like the palguin, the siete tazas (7 teacups), liacurra, trancurra. I think if your not looking to spend all of your time on one river, pucon would be the place to go. Also look for "Kayak Pucon". Its the local kayak shop. A guy named rodrigo and his wife run it, and they will give you all the info you need.

claywhiddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008   #3
Posts: 34 rodrigo has tons of boats that you can rent and knows the cuntry better than almost anyone down there. as well to get to futa is a long trip, if you stay around the pucon area you can paddle more and have a better variety, also makes the trip alot cheaper
jomama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008   #4
Probably Futa in Jan/FEB

From my knowledge I would say Futa. I think you missed the good water in the Pucon area by Jan/Feb. Jan/Feb is great on the Futa. 10k cfs to 20k cfs... and water starts comming even more in March.

I went to the Futa two years ago, and was a 4- boater.. Rolled a LOT, but it was a HOOT !!!
bouldrmatty is offline   Reply With Quote