Old 02-09-2013   #11
River City, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1995
Originally Posted by carvedog View Post
Speaking of epipens we had to jump through hoops one year to get a doc to 'prescribe' an epipen for a Selway trip for someone who didn't have one and was highly, highly allergic to bees and poison ivy.

Is this still the case? We fortunately didn't have to use it and I threw it out years ago, but would like to carry one prophylactically.
That's a pretty silly situation if they indeed had legit allergies that could lead to anaphylaxis, not just a mild reaction. That person should seek a different doc if they aren't being an advocate for their patient. But that is the responsibility of the person with the severe allergy.

However is is extremely unlikely that docs are going to start handing out prescription meds for just anyone to have in their 1st aid kits. (I'm not saying maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea for someone with at least first aid training.)

My kid has a severe allergy and we carry Epi Pens, multiple, if in remote areas. In my experience getting a pen was as easy as any other persciription. See the doc. Get a script. Go to the pharmacy and pick it up.

Also check the expire dates every so often because the Epi Pens do have a shelf life.

OregonRafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013   #12
Up North, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1985
We took my 5 year old neice on the Main, she loved it and even took a swim with her mom when they got bumped out in a Class III. But she has been on multi-day trips since she was 2. I would go for as many days as the permit allows. If your already going to spend the money to get there and pay for the shuttle, might as make the most of it.

shappattack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013   #13
Lewistown, middle of MT
Paddling Since: 1982
I think that if you explain the lack of emergency services for the trip you are going on - a doctor would certainly prescribe emergency meds. I've been in charge of an e kit for lots of multi day trips including the grand and had no problem getting antibiotics, extra epipens, prescription burn cream, etc. Maybe it's because I'm a nurse but I don't think so.

This thread made me feel a lot better about our June trip on the Salmon with our 11 and 12 year old. My daughter has severe bee allergies - so I'm glad we're missing the late summer bee fest. Can't wait.
If you lean over to watch the river slipping slowly away beneath you, you will suddenly know everything there is to be known. Winnie the Pooh
mtriverrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013   #14
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Take this with a grain of salt, but I had a medical person once tell me that epi's are fine as long as they don't get cloudy or discolored, which takes about 4 years IME. Another important drug for allergies is liquid or quick dissolve benadryl. I have had instances where the epi didn't help and the benadryl did. And this was in an ER so my old epi wasn't a factor. Both are short acting and prednisone is another allergy kit tool for severe reactions.
I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013   #15
bend, Oregon
We are planning to run with kids late July/early august but got shut out permit wise. wife is a pediatrician and buddies wife is a nurse. Don't know how many you have lined up on your permit but if you had space ...

simlach is offline   Reply With Quote