Old 04-13-2007   #1
Knife Fork of the Spoon Paddling Since: 1984
Chicken raper

I am wondering just how hard (rafting) Chicken raper rapid on the Dolores Gateway section is at a standard flow. Thx

One of the coolest rapid names

Fuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007   #2
East Jordan, Utah
Paddling Since: 1979
I've only run it once at about 1800 and we had about six rafts and they all made the run without incident. From what I've been told, the Chicken Raper name applies to the left side channel which has some fence and/or rebar in it, while the other side is the more logical run. You shouldn't have a problem scouting, I would think that at these flows you'd probably opt for the more chicken friendly run.

rm&p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007   #3
Denver, Colorado
If you're going to be doing any chicken raping, be sure you are under-equipped, like this guy.

Just some more Bush bashing...
"I think I handled my alcohol pretty well considering how drunk I was." -Cousin Dan
Livingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007   #4
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Stateline Rapid, aka Chicken Raper

I personally have not ran the Gateway section through Chicken Raper, but have seen many pictures of it and have talked to many people who have run it. Previous post is right, the left side of the rapid is very bad news. The crux is running right through a series of braided channels. The moves seem pretty straight forward and if I remember it looked like you just need to stay right at the braids. There is also a posssibly dangerous diversion dam or river right as you move through the braids. The scout is river right and is easily scoutable and hard to miss. I'm looking at running this section soon as flows get a little higher. From what I understand this section is mostly wide and flat and needs a fair amount of flow to not scrap your boat the whole way. Probably atleast 900-1200 at the Colorado confluence gauge. Hope this helps, maybe see you out there.

Dan R
DanRauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007   #5
Knife Fork of the Spoon Paddling Since: 1984
Thanks a ton. Looking forward to this run. Have heard many good things about it but a long shuttle and the C-raper. My mind is at ease.
Fuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007   #6

Routt County River Enforcement is just hiding the fact that RCRE really stands for Righteous Chicken Raping Enthusiasts
craporadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007   #7
Salida, Colorado
Don't forget...

to call Moab for a permit. You might get a ticket at Dewey if you don't.
Joe Brown is a dandy shuttle.
No amount of money is worth your free time!
whip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007   #8
GWS, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
Isn't the name of the rapid 'Chicken Ripper'? That is what I have been calling it for the last 14 years.
Mut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007   #9
Stateline rapid...

I had always heard it called Stateline till the 90's. Anyway easy class III move to the right channel. sj
sj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007   #10
????, Colorado
Paddling Since: ????
shure the left is more diff!

but dang, who can go that far in flat water without trying the left side, tight with big drops. the next like 30 miles is flat water.. so you get a lot of time to pick up the pecies... once you clean the right, it just leaves you wanting more, and you can't easily carry your gear boat back ut to run the left... so you choose.. but don't do something you will regret...
One of the coolest rapid names[/quote]

mommer is offline   Reply With Quote