Old 06-19-2007   #1
Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 94
Send a message via Yahoo to Gary E

Just posted this to a few friends and wanted to keep you all in the loop. Do not leave cheeseman without a ticket or a great day on the water. Be respectfull and try to keep your mouth shut. They will taut and yell ect..

The Colorado law is gray in the right to float. A case on both sides have won in the supreme court and sportsman uses this as a way to plead their case. Maybe someone who knows the two cases and is a lawyer will chime in and explain, as I have forgotten the cases ect..

Again, no matter how bad they get, keep your mouth shut as we have been working for many years on access issues. We got bear creek to loosen up and 5 yrs ago sp was open to floating. I'll keep you posted.

Also be safe in there and know this run is the most dangerous run in the state with many big drops. Be on your A game in there. It is also one of the best!

The agreement was made verbally through Tim Kelley and the top dogs at sportsman. It was however 5 yrs ago and sounds like they're not holding their end. The person is obviously no longer at sportsman or has just changed his mind.
I sent an email to Tim for more details and contacts.
If you guys show up there and are told not to paddle and the sheriff is on the way. Get in your boats and paddle until the sheriff asks you to get out of your kayak, otherwise paddle through quickly.
If you get stopped at the bridge, wait for the sheriff in your boat. Get a ticket or whatever and contact AWA and you wont even have to show for court as it will most likely be thrown out.
By doing this you will again raise awareness about the right to float in colorado. So spend the extra 20 minutes to get a ticket. Join AWA before you float and they will take care of you.

Gary E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007   #2
Recommended Logistics for running Cheesman:

Arrive the night before and run shuttle. Get to the put in late, so none of the fat fishermen see your kayaks. Immediately hide your boats in the bushes. Camp. Enjoy a beer. or two. put in between 9am and 10:30 so you have time to float through their property before 11.

Be stealth about it. If they don't see kayaks they won't call the sheriff. You may even consider removing kayak stackers. By the time they see you, you will be halfway through their property and they won't have time to bust you.

Newst beta:

Cheesmen Canyon is 90% clear of wood. Pretty sweet considering the damage the Hayman Fire caused. We never had to portage for wood, however there were one or two sketchy logs that required some maneuvering. The flow on sunday was good, but I would have been psyched to have another 100cfs or so. The guage read 260, but there are a couple of creeks bringing in around 25 cfs each by the time you get to the halfway point.

The gate at Corral creek is closed, so you will have to hike up the road. a biatch.

N. Wigston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007   #3
Johnson City, Tennessee
Paddling Since: 1998
Just out of curiosity..

Hey I saw the post and both of you seem to know cheeseman well and get around the US to boat so Im just posting out of curiousity. I paddled Linville in the fall at 2.4(medium low/good first time level). How does cheeseman compare to linville in undercuts/sieves and difficulty? Im not in CO and wont be able to get there anytime soon so please dont worry about me ruining relations. Just curious on how the sieviest most undercut run of the SE compares to the Colorado's sieviest most undercut run.
Thanks Russell
Russell Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007   #4
Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 94
Send a message via Yahoo to Gary E
Russell, Linville is more dangerous with easier lines. I mean it has 2/3 seives undercuts per drop as cheeseman has big drops and one bad sieve or undercut. Of course Linville at 3ft does change the above if you run everything in linville. Linville has cleaner lines on most drops. I love both runs a lot. Cheeseman is like the east in a lot of ways.
Gary E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007   #5
Englewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
Flow beta for the next couple of weeks:

Beta on 11 Mile and Cheeseman Flows
Join up, suckas.

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
- Soren Kierkegaard
Caspian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007   #6
Bham, Washington
Paddling Since: 1997
Can anyone who was in the second party last weekend speak to how they got shut out?

Was there a fence or structure requiring you to get out and portage?

Were you paddling through at the agreed upon time? Just bad luck?
The high side of good - Daniel D
Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007   #7
Bham, Washington
Paddling Since: 1997
Okay if you are wanting to paddle the cheeseman tomorrow and would like good odds at getting through sportsmans, meet at the goose creek camp ground tonight or very early in the morning.

Follow the directions to the take out and Goose creek campground is a few miles past the take out on the take out road towards deckers. We will be setting shuttle in the morning and paddling through Sportsmans promptly at 9am. Do not be late, we will not be waiting. Do not bite off more than you can chew, cheeseman is a serious run and there will be little hand holding (except for lotsawater).

Please do not paddle through Sportsmans before 9am or after 11am to adhere to the previous agreement worked out by AW. Relations are tenuous, do not screw up the access to this run. Chances of a showdown between Sportsmans and paddlers are good. Grouping together is probably the best chance we have to get through and while making a statement to any law enforcement officials and Sportsmans.

If you have questions PM or give me a call 970 988 5502 (for official purposes only. do not call me asking to date my mom or sisters)

The high side of good - Daniel D
Force is offline   Reply With Quote