Old 11-02-2004   #1
Preacher of the Profit Paddling Since: 1990
Check out the new Drago Rossi Demos

Be the first kid on your block to try one of the most talked about kayaks in years. We've got them for a few weeks- then they're gone. In demo right now we have the Drago Rossi: Fish (play) and the Mafia (Creek/ River).

Come on in and sign one out. Cost is $0 for 24 hours, and Then $15 each additional day. Just so you remember to bring it back.

Looks like a couple of really fun kayaks. Something from the mind of Corran, might just be perfect for you. So, come on in and give them a test drive.

I love to dance, but who needs the music- It throws me off.
Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004   #2
Lawyer Scum

Can you post a link to specs or a photo.

Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004   #3

Here you go.
Old 11-03-2004   #4
Don, do you know anything about that Shockwave Gear (drytops & PFD's designed by Diego, Corrans D-Rossi partner). Surely you saw that stuff at their OR display.... its sick!!!! Some of the most well thought out and safety oriented gear i've ever seen, not to mention some of the best looking.... I ask 'cause I wanna get my hands on some. When I asked Diego at the show he said he currently had no US distribution. Also, we kinda tried to get some hooks from him, you know, be his frontline US promoters/paddlers in CO, but he was like 'yeah, right'...... I was still so impressed with his gear that I would buy that before taking others for free...(oops...). What do you know/think about this?????

PS- not having tried the drytop in actual water leaves small questions about waterproofness/durability.......... This is POSSIBLY more important than style.....but not really (jk).
Meng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004   #5
pnw, Washington
Not seeing any mention of price on their site. What r they going for?
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004   #6

I did take a look at the stuff that was at OR, but they were not all finished products. Some of the stuff was not 100% taped and finished. It's hard to say.

Every year when you go to OR you see SO much product. You want to bring in new product, but at the same time you don't want to be the field tester when your the one selling it. People expect us to stand up for the gear we sell, and that can be a challange when your talking about new products. There are many different things that grab peoples attention and make them want a new product. Style, features, sizing, price, color and materials. Sometimes you get a hit and other times you get a miss. What may be standing out in style, color, and features may be missing in price and customer support.

This seems to me what I remember from the Diego's gear. It looked great, had killer style, but it was lacking in dealer support and it was pricey. Drytops are a really hard sell and over the last few years have really dropped off in sales. We almost triple the numbers of gasket replacments to new sales of drytops. When drytops cost $150-200 people would replace the jacket when it worn thin, now that they cost over $300 people just fix the neck when it rips.

Bottom line was that I was going to let someone else be the test dummy and if the jacket really took off then we might add it in the future. Have you looked at the Palm Jackets? They have a bunch of the same stylings with more real world market testing. Their drysuits are amazing and have been tested on the biggest rivers in the world (Tsangpo and Stikine).

As far as going to OR to get hooked up with free gear... other than free T-shirts, caps and stickers. You're probably not going to get too far. Most manufactors have plenty of free field testers. The days of the pro-paddler are almost gone, and the ones who have those posts are not giving them up any time soon. You might have better luck working for a shop and showing the manufactors how well you can sell their stuff for them. Take a small product that you really like and make it a major market player. Like Bliss-stick, you boat some of their boats. How much have you increased Bliss-Sticks market percentage in your area? How many Dagger, Wavesport, Necky, Riot, and Pyranha boats didn't sell because you were pushing Bliss-Stick? How many new kayakers did you get into the sport and of them how many bought a Bliss-Stick? It's the same thing when your looking at free drytops or paddles. What have you done for me lately? What percentage of market share will we gain by hooking this guy up? In todays sports you better be a outstanding sales person, because there are already a ton of world class paddlers. Look at the top pros in the field (EJ, Corran, Tao, etc...) and then look at the how many really good boaters that can beat them from time to time in rodeos. The numbers are high for the rodeo scores and still very small for the ones making a living paddling. Now who are the most marketable and who are the companies looking to push their gear? Answer is the ones who sell the most gear and push the most product.
Old 11-03-2004   #7

If your asking about price than Drago Rossi might not be the right kayak for you. They are the second most expensive kayaks made(custom glass #1), and the most expensive plastic kayaks made. They are really for the guy who wants what no one else has, someone who turns heads just pulling into the parking lot. They cost around $1400.

We are a NRS dealer and have been for many years. NRS is the US distributor for Drago Rossi. So, if you want one we can get it for you. But, we most likely will not have them in stock and this might be your only chance to demo one.
Old 11-04-2004   #8
ski/kayak bum
Amazing how much they resemble riot boats (fish v. turbo/air mafia v. big gun/sniper). I would think that riot would be pissed about their intellectual property.
double-a-ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004   #9
Don, thanks for the input. I agree on your assesment on the Shockwave stuff.... the reason I thought it had so much potential was in the safety features. The PFD's have a little spinal protector and, though a 'rodeo cut' for movemet, it covers the whole back....something I greatly value in a PFD used for creeking. Additionally, the webbing on the shoulder straps runs through the whole jacket for the kind of strength that would be needed in the event of an extraction (HF jackets also have this feature that SHOULD be standard). I definitely understand supporting your long term suppliers and best sellers, and also that it takes the top apparell companies years to get their fabric and taping right.... Still, I think that gear has lots of potential and was quite innovative (ie: the removable shoulder, elbow and back pads on the drytop).

As far as going to OR to get hooked up with gear...... I just want to defend myself here because I really didnt need that schooling that you threw down on me and i feel silly...... thats not why I was there at all. I went with some friends who had to be there (I just wanted to get out of Salida for a few days since I couldnt boat this year). I did no gear grovelling (with Diego we hinted that we were intrerested, but it didnt progress beyong showing us the gear so nothing was pursued or officially suggested/asked for).

Because I have realized that at my level of kayaking the only way to go is to enjoy it recreationally for my own pleasure, major sponsorships, videos etc... are something I have lost an appetite for long ago. Unless you are at the absolute top of the sport athletically (I am very FAR from that), or a well established top rep, outfitter or retailer there seems to be little if any money to be made in kayaking.... and who cares from the recreationists point of view...its all about the experience.... I have respect for those like you who make a living in the industry, being involved in what they love to do recreationally. And yeah, I know, the recreationists should care about the financial viability of the industry because it means more progressive gear etc... Nonetheless, I would hate to see paddling turn into snowboarding (the pro's being dressed up like thugged-out pop stars and selling a bullshit image to millions of youngsters).

I have always recognized the importance of starting a sponsorship proposal with: heres what I can do for you, or something along those lines.....and always practiced that. You are right in that no one is going to give product or support to anyone who won't provide financial returns.

At any rate OR was a fun way to see old friends and check out some cool non-boating gear that we dont see in our paddleshops...... i couldn't believe how huge that show is....

Meng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004   #10
Paddled the Fish...

I just paddled the Fish for four days in Montreal, and despite its big wave capabilities (not all hype), it's really just another fun playboat that would serve a Colorado paddler well, I think, so long as you can part with $1400. Along with paddling it on the St. Lawrence I took it down a 1800 cfs river and had just as much fun had I been in my ZG. Probably better for western slope boaters (Shoshone) than front rangers, but if I had to travel the world with one playboat for holes, waves, or the ocean this would be it. It would be a great downriver Ark boat when flows are up.

If you do paddle it, definitely set the trim forward, which may require shaving down the center pillar a bit, as there is an inordinate amount of stern volume in this boat, I felt, which would be great for the ocean but would suck at low water Confluence park. My complaint with the Fish was I'd heard all the hype about how well it carves. I kept trying to engage the edge on Big Joe and 67 like I was in my surf boat, but always got throttled in the chaotic foam piles or power flipped down on the green face. I finally got on a wave (Pyramid) that was totally green and this boat really does do great bottom turns, and lip hits etc with lots of speed. So for those big green waves on the Ark, Poudre, Colorado, and at Union that you have ignored since you sold your RPM, this boat will renew your vigor for front surfing and carving turns. Perhaps you can do power carves in the Fish on steep breaking river waves, though not at my skill level. I've got my fingers crossed for a Grand trip next summer and if it's a go the Fish will be my first choice.

Not better than anything else on the market for holes and the current style of aireal wave surfing, just different and more expensive. My two cents.

Hartje is offline   Reply With Quote