Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 10-13-2004   #1
Cheap Suggestions for Portable, Leakproof, Toilet?

I've got a Westwater trip planned ina couple weeks, last thing on the list is a washable, leakproof toilet. Any suggestions? Can I rent one somewhere?

StoneCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004   #2
If you are only going to run westwater in one day then make everyone in your group take a shit before you leave then take a 5 gallon bucket with a lid on it. It works. If you guys are camping then you do need something more advanced like a large amo can to make some nice grooves in you ass.

TUCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004   #3
We are doing an overnighter so the toilet is a must.
StoneCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004   #4
An old fashioned groover (jus a rocket box with a trashbag) doesn't cut it - no human waste allowed in the trash. I used to always just designate one of my Nalgene bolttles as an emergency groover (NOT reuseable ), but that doesn't work. Neither does a medium sized tupperware container. I also used to put my lunch in a tupperware box, and designate it as an emergency groover if needed. That doesn't cut it anymore, either. So, he'll most likely check that you have an "approved" one. Unfortunately, there isn't a really cheap solution. If there are any rafters, get a large system, the tank fits in a rocket box, and a seat attaches. There's a RV-type kit for emptying it. If jus kayaks are going, there's a smaller kit that will BARELY fit in the stern of a playboat.
I don't know if they can be rented...call around I live here in GJ, I s'pose you could use mine...email me your info...
You can empty them for free at the Fruita visitors center, otherwise it costs you (yes, you have to PAY for the pleasure of cleaning up other people's sh*t) like $8 at an RV park.
Western Slope WaterMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004   #5
student/ kayaker
Send a message via AIM to goatboater
You want the PETT toilet. I think you can get them from NRS and CKS. It's a foldable plastic job that takes a new bag every time you set it up, it's easy and very portable (probably wouldn't fit in a kayak though). The downside- they're not cheap. I think they cost about 90 bucks. The best part about the PETT is trying to think of retarted things that the acronym could stand for. Have Fun on Westy,

The attendant at Ted's Place: "And from now on if I'm working when you come in here, you take as much Nacho Cheese for your burrito as you want- it's on me (wink)."
goatboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004   #6
Pett toilet is probably the easiest. You don't actually need the seat, just the bags if you are going in kayaks. It is a double bag system. You can get them at AAA or DRE or any raft shop.
Khris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004   #7
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Has anyone passed with a PVC grover? I made one for an overnight trip out of 4" PVC a glued cap on one end and a removable plug with a wing nut that gets it nice and tight. Fits well in a kayak and hopefully you won't have to use it, but it will contain a couple of sh*ts worth and is dedicated to that purpose, you can pack it out without worrying about leaks or breaking it, and it is reusable.

Materials from home depot for about $10. Very easy to construct.
rivermanryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004   #8
Aspen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
You can also rent them from Rimrock Adventures www.rradventures.com in Fruita. I think $7 a day and they will clean it for $20.
akblair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004   #9
Arvada, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
We did a kayak only over nighter through westwater and used the PVC groover described above.

I think it was 14" long, maybe less.

The ranger was cool with it. Worked well too. Just have to do your business on some coffee filters and plop it in the tube.

andy is offline   Reply With Quote