Old 07-16-2010   #11
I kayak DH.
Greater tri cities metro area, Colorado
Originally Posted by JHimick View Post
What's with the sarcasm? You seem a little angry... forget to take your Prozac?

If you had been a guide you would understand that people falling out of boats can be out of your control. People don't always do what they're told in a raft. If you had the experience of dealing with these people in whitewater, I don't think you would have suggested something as ridiculous as "Next time... don't lose a customer".
I'm not suggesting that simply dropping a custy is a crime or a big deal. LOSING them for a LONG time on the other hand is. The fact that this girl was alive was simple LUCK.

I see custy's swim every day, on the other hand the guides that I work with are on their game & have them back in the boat... in LESS than 45 min on average.

I saw ZERO reason for Ryan to be arrested aside from arrogance on the side of the sheriff, the other guy on the other hand, from all accounts that I've heard should legitimately be dealing with the legal side of this. I think it's pretty cool that they (the DA) recognized that this was an emotionally charged exchange due to people wanting to help, not the other way around & that some inappropriate actions were done with good intention. Guy #2 got off lucky imo & there's NOTHING wrong with that. Nobody was trying to hurt anyone in that situation & since then the two groups have increased efforts to work together, so some good did come out of this situation which is great to see!!

Don't get me wrong, I'm not at all saying that AVA is at fault in any way, I'm simply saying that had the guides in that pod been on their game on that day, at that moment, that things would have gone very differently. Nobody's perfect & in a river SH** is gonna happen, but as I said... if you don't LOSE a custy things like this don't need to happen. (if you lose someone for long enough that the FD makes it to the site & gears up, sorry, you F'd up BAD)

Oh, and yeah, I'm the railroad custodian in gore... I keep the rocks on the side of the river clean!!

Discover Denver, stay there!
Waterwindpowderrock is offline   Reply With Quote