Old 04-19-2015   #1
Modesto, California
Paddling Since: 1991
Central Utah Kayaking?

I'm visiting last week in April & first week in May. Are there any kayakers interested in the Sevier, Green, or possibly Muddy Creek and showing me the runs?

Sent from my iPad using Mountain Buzz

Keith4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015   #2
God Amongst Men
Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
not a great snow year, Muddy would be better done as an IK-assisted hike....

"Don't f$&@ing eddy out, just run it! Whaddya doin??" -LMyers
yetigonecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015   #3
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Big Rock Candy Mountain outfitters may be able to hook you up with some folks for the Sevier if it's running. It's fairly predictable with dam releases, but they'll have better details than me.
stubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015   #4
Consider inquiring at the Utah Rivers forum if you don't find the information or connections you're hoping for here.

Straight Canyon (Joe's Valley) of Cottonwood Creek is a Central Utah gem for III-IV boulder garden creeking, but it's dam releases during runoff seem to typically hover just under runnable flows on normal years-- with an occasional lucky spike. Flow info here. Seems like the legendary Johnny A runs it at like 180 cfs, but he finds stuff to boat on in Utah Valley 365 days a year, which is saying something. If it gets around 250 and you're in the area it may be worth going, especially if you like bouldering--at a minimum its pretty water and there's lots of cool rocks to climb on.

But snowpack is really bad in UT so you may be relegated to Green River Daily & Moab Daily for day trip options. I don't know much about Sevier. Muddy Creek isn't happening without a really big storm, and that means flash flood in a slot canyon--an insane place to be, and impassable roads when soaked anyway--so either way I wouldn't plan on it. Hasn't seen runoff since 2011 AFAIK.
benR is offline   Reply With Quote