Old 03-17-2004   #1
Central American Paddling????

Hello everyone,

My name is Ron and I am planning a trip from the US to Costa Rica this fall, ariving in Costa Rica about the 1st of December. I am looking for information on other central american countries (Guatemala, Belize, El Salvador, Honduras, Nicaragua, Hoduras, and/or Panama). I seem to be able to find some information on rivers in M exico and Costa Rica, but the other stuff seems to be a bit more dificult. If you have any info or can send me in any good direction, please do.

I am also looking for additional paddlers on the trip willing to split expenses with the rest of the group. The trip is possibly going to have a stinger (a small pontune raft that can be either run as a R2 or oar rig caring gear for multi-day trips). I am looking for solid Class IV paddlers. If this souds like you, you can contact me at (serious inquires only).

Departure date is not set at this time but plans are to leave the US between the 3rd week in September (2004) and the 2nd week of October. Arival will be just before the tourist season in Costa Rica. I am planning on working and have arangements made and am staying until April before returning. There are many companies in Costa Rica for kayaking and rafting as well as in other countries in central america.

river2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004   #2
Geologist, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
I went to Honduras 2 years ago to investigate debris flows from Hurricane Mitch. While I was there, I paddled the Rio Cangrejal. I met up with a guy from rios honduras
He was really informative. However, I hired him as a guide, but when it came down to it, he couldn't get his boat and I had to paddle alone. I paddled 10 miles of the 15 boatable miles of the river and it was pretty fun. I was in a play boat, but it was definitely class IV+. I would recommend this river which is near La Ceiba. Good luck!
jonny water is offline   Reply With Quote