Old 10-27-2004   #1
Central America in January

I am headed to Central America at the end of January to paddle some warm water. Being old and getting lazy I will connect with a guide and let them do the driving and feeding and stuff.

I'm looking at Costa Rica Rios in Turialba, Costa Rica and Rios Honduras in LaCeiba, Honduras.

Has anyone booked a trip with either of these companies? Any thoughts on how the boating compares? I'm looking for a bunch of III/IV paddling in warm water with a company that has a reasonably decent collection of boats. I'm also not looking for peak water flows. I was having fun on the Numbers well into August and something similar to that will make me happy.

westfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004   #2
good guys to go with.....

going to Central America this winter sounds awesome. Especially while I am battling the cold and darkness of winter in Alaska. Anyways, in Costar Rica, go with Green Frog Adventures in Turrialba. A couple of Local guys from Colorado run the show and have been doing it for almost 10 years down there. They really know their shit. Kirk Bohem or Travis Lloyd are the names of the owners, on Yahoo, just type in ''. They cater to anyone and specialize in custom itineraries.
As far as Honduras, I went down there to work as a guide a few years ago. Rios Honduras is a bigger company and definately has higher prices. The guy I worked for was local, knowledgable and cheap. His mane is Jorge Salaverri and he owns La Moskitia Ecoaventuras in La Ceiba. He is a great guy, very nice and personable. Check them both out, and tell them Tyler from Alaska sent you, might get you a discount or something(?). Have fun.

Tylermon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004   #3
Tyler, thanks for the input and the contacts down there. I will look them up. I was in Costa Rica a few years ago and did a bunch of day trips with Inger at Jungla and it was great. Her dad drove shuttle and it was a lot cheaper than doing the all inclusive thing. Problem is she is out of the country this year.
westfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004   #4
Costa Rica

It sounds like you may like the rio general. this is a 3 day trip that is mostly class three (couple of 4's and tons of play). My buddies at H2O adventures in Quepos (they are part of rios tropicales in san jose) were developing the trip while i was down there, and are guiding it comercially now. im sure other companies are too. i know arturo, leo and rolondo (at h20 adventures) will take good care of you guys, but they are not in turrialba.
good luck,
dregina is offline   Reply With Quote