Old 05-14-2007   #1
Golden, Colorado
CDOT responding to Hwy 6 closure complaints

I got an email reply from Gina Talmadge ( regarding the closure of Hwy 6 through Clear Creek Canyon and the 1 week delay.

I had complained that the scheduling coincided with the beginning of runoff for Clear Creek and that Clear Creek is used by a lot of paddlers around here. I suggested they use historical streamflows as a guide when closing roads along creeks and rivers because in this case a 2 or 3 week shift could have made a big difference to local paddlers.

Anyways, Gina just got back from vacation and is getting Bob Wilson, Region 1 Public Relations Officer, on it. He is going to investigate and talk with region 1 and get back to me.

If anyone knows the specific points of contact for access issues within American Whitewater and/or Colorado Whitewater are could you let me know? I'll ping them when I get the time, but if any of you know off the top of your head it would be helpful.

I'll bet it is too late to do anything about the closure this time, but maybe CDOT will take into consideration paddling access issues in the future if they start a relationship with AWWA or CWWA.

Ture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007   #2
pnw, Washington
start with nathan fey, the colorado contact for aw

"Yesterday I was clever and tried to change the world. Today I am wise and try to change myself." -Rumi
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007   #3
let us know if we need to fill their inbox with "concerned outdoor citizens" letters. Notheing nasty.

I am sure there are plenty of front range Buzzards who will oblige.
yakpolo is offline   Reply With Quote