Old 06-05-2011   #1
Lakewood, 80214
Paddling Since: 2010
CC tunnel one down

hey guys, first time posting here. just got into paddling last season. love it. i wanna go with a friend who has never been in a kayak before. i wanna take him on cc tunnel 1 down to the play park. we have a chance this tuesday, 6/8/11. the weather seems to be fare but the levels are growing fast. i'm not sure if he would be able to handle it. whats your opinion? i keep checking on eddyflower and its already 700+

qsjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011   #2
Louisville, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
saw a college age couple, complete with shorts, bikini (for her) & a walmart raft heading up there today... although they obviously have not taken Bio 101 & covered Darwin's Survival of the Fittest yet! luckily for them, West Metro Fire District was conducting swiftwater rescue training between elbow & screaming quarter mile, ie of little help to this adventurous couple.

the water is definitely cold now, so keep that in mind. on the daily cycle of water flows, afternoon is gonna be the lowest level of the day, but you probably won't see less than 700 from here on out. also, this section seems to be highly overgrown with vegetation along the banks & is sticking further into the river as it rises, so keep that in mind for eddying out, or limited control drivers of the kayak & where the current takes them.

i would start out in the park down below & see how you're friend does. much safer, easier to get out & less obstacles to deal with... plus closer to people (help if need be)

have fun, be safe!

~Get all the sleep I need when I'm dead.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011   #3
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Not the place to be for a first time kayaker was on it two days ago and yes it is still just class III but that being said it is class III on clear creek and at this level it is moving very fast and does have some large pour-overs and big lateral in places. there are two places on the way down that you really don't want to be and swims would be long and cold not to mention all the rocks that are going to hurt if you are upside down or out of your boat. I would walk the trail around tunnel one and take a look and see what you think before putting on. Large eddies are there but the eddy lines are big boily and quite strong. CC turns into a different animal when the level gets much above 650. I would walk up from the playpark and put-in near the 6th ave overpass and see how he does if he can run the park from there without swimming then you could go take a look at tunnel 1 down. That being said what time were you thinking about going on Tuesday I might be willing and able to join you guys if you want to go with someone that knows the river through there. Let me know and I will give you my phone#.

Just when I thought life was good, I put-on a river and it got better.
wyohitewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011   #4
Lakewood, 80214
Paddling Since: 2010
thanks for the response good advice i think we will try the playpark and see how that goes. that being said, jeremy we are thinking around 11am or so i would love to met some people who know the river and are experienced at kakying my finance and i bought sea eagle duckies last season just to see if we would like the sport we would both like to get into hardshells this year if we have the dough
qsjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011   #5
Montrose, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
I agree that the PP is a good place to start, as there are lots of pools to collect gear and usually plenty of paddlers around to help out. Middle Clear Creek (between Upper and Blackrock) is a pretty mellow, roadside stretch that is worth looking into when you get bored at the PP.
Duckins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011   #6
Erie, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I remember my first time out was in golden around 700. We started above the playholes and I flipped on my first attempted ferry before reaching the first drop. Then I went over it cutting up my hands and banging my head good trying to set up for my first river roll.

I did make it back up, but a lot of people would bail and be terrified.

I suggest putting on at the bleachers with a new person and taking out at washington and just doing that part to start.

CUBuffskier is offline   Reply With Quote