Old 03-20-2012   #11
Professional Transient, See above.

My buddy works at Tex and he has offered to take a rolled raft for me before (down to the confluence anyway), so I know they will do it. Not sure if it depends on how many ppl they have loaded or if it was just the bro deal? Sounded like a usual service to me though.

st2eelpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012   #12
Boof like a Utard.
Moab, Utah
Paddling Since: 1995
tex's final word

I'm st2eelpot's friend (when he has beer ) and I work at Tex's Riverways. We no longer transport rafts upstream from the confluence. We used to, but that policy has changed. We will transport you and your rolled raft downstream if you are organized, punctual, and book in advance.

About motoring upstream, I suggest bringing more gas than you think you will need, and alot more if you are coming in May or June. I don't know how to gauge that amount of gas; I have never motored upstream privately and don't know your motor.

In complete honesty, your easiest option is to borrow (or rent) a canoe, and just do your shuttle with Tex. I'm not telling you this to sell you seats on the jetboat; we can (and will) sell those to someone else. [If we were hard up, we'd still transport rafts]. I'm saying this to save a fellow boater some hassle. Or you can call Tag-a-long.

Good Luck and see you on the river,

kennyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012   #13
Boof like a Utard.
Moab, Utah
Paddling Since: 1995

[I think also one appeal of the up river trip was that we could do it any time we wanted, no permit necessary, just pack up and go, don't worry about permit dates]

You will need a permit to camp and travel through Canyonlands N.P. (obtained in advance), but getting one isn't restricted. Motoring back to Potash from the Confluence has been done, and with a non-planing boat, so don't rule out your original idea. Just pack extra gas and probably some ear plugs or an ipod.

kennyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012   #14
Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 2006
Seems like a lot of hassle - why not do low water Deso, Labyrinth, San Juan, or something like that if she doesn't want to do the Big Drops? Walking around the Big Drops is easy, but the Big Drops are easy at low water too.
atg200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012   #15
irvine, California
Paddling Since: 1987
My wife and youngest kid walked it the first we ran cat. He was 4. I let him run it with me when he was 8. It's pretty easy to get a permit, just bring your motor for after the rapids, have your wife walk the big drops? It's a spectacular canyon with amazing hikes, well worth doing. Btw, I prefer the green over Potash.

wildh2onriver is offline   Reply With Quote