Mountain Buzz banner

cataract canyon with a broken arm?

4K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  BCJ 
#1 ·
Question? got a chance to run CC in the next couple weeks.... low water it looks like. My wife has a broken arm (no plaster cast).... she is a 15+ year Upper Gauley guide whats this section like at levels under 10k......

she wont be much help as a paddler but i think she would love the views!

So..... let me hear your opinions on weather or not she will end up in the water at a bad time or if she is gonna slam her hand 4 weeks post surgery..... also i should point out it is 3 MONTHS post a minor break...... she had surgery to fix a torn ligament..... 4 weeks before trip date

#3 ·
If your in a decent size boat, and have some skill, I think your safe getting the wife down Cat at low to moderate flows. She should do something to give it a little protection and go have a good time.
I cut the fiberglass cast off my foot at the GC put in this time last year. Wore a walking cast instead, and had a great trip.

Attachments

#6 ·
cat with arm failure

i think as long as you, the boatman are dialed, there is no worries, rig up a painter in the front and tell her to hold on with that good arm and ride the bull. good camping at spanish bottom and a fine spot for a layover. ps on 4-20 009 we ran it at 30,000 and it was stout, i flipped my boat in the CLAW:cool:

#11 ·
Cataract With Broken Arm

I just HAD to respond to this one . . .

About 5 years ago I BROKE my right humerus (big bone, upper arm) in Big Drop 3. Ash oar caught a rock and snapped it like a toothpick (the arm, that is).

So, be aware . . . . . the person rowing may be at more risk than the one riding!

PS Nice flight out in a helicopter though!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.