Old 02-05-2011   #1
Terrebonne, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1999
Cataract Canyon Trip

I would like to personally invite you to join us for the Tamarisk Coalitionís second annual Cataract Canyon fundraiser and service river trip.

We are hosting an extraordinary trip through Cataract Canyon, April 17 through 22, 2011. This is a chartered educational and service trip with OARS. Six days of fabulous red rock country in the springtime is hard to beat, while running some of the Colorado Riverís biggest whitewater, while learning about the magnificent Colorado River from experts in river system health. We will be spending two days with the National Park Service cutting tamarisk to protect valuable cottonwood groves.

This will be an excellent opportunity to spend time with our field staff on a river section where the Tamarisk Coalition has done a lot of work and study. It is the perfect place to see first-hand, the effects of the tamarisk leaf beetle as well as a few of our restoration projects.

Register: O.A.R.S. at OARS Whitewater Rafting, Adventure Travel, White Water Rafting Vacations or email

Cost: $1,564 adult/$1,465 youth (17 years and younger)

Proceeds benefit the Tamarisk Coalition and help to fund education such as
scholarships for attendance at the annual Tamarisk Coalition conferences and
providing education experiences for students on riparian restoration.

We really hope to see you on the river!

sarahlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011   #2
Canon City, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Any opportunity for those of us who don't have $300 a day to spend on a commercial trip but still want to help remove tamarisk? Who might I contact at NPS to learn more about volunteering in this type of cutting of tammys/protection of cottonwoods program?

climbdenali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011   #3
Jenks, Oklahoma
How are the bugs working out to kill the tammies?

Seems like there was a test going on some where.

I know that cutting them down is hard work and they often times come right back up.
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011   #4
Terrebonne, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1999
At you will find all sorts of opportunities to volunteer in the Tammy fight. Its an ongoing project, but many areas have been restored or are on the way.
sarahlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011   #5
North Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
I too would be interested in volunteering for this as opposed to paying to volunteer. I as others who may be interested can provide all my own gear and supplies for the entire trip. If this is an option the turnout should be much higher. If expected to pay to volunteer why not do a commercial trip for less than $1500 and relax the entire time.
nicho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011   #6
Jenks, Oklahoma
Not sure of the average April flow thru the big drops. I have seen video of 18 foot rafts getting hammered in the run off time frame. Maybe you are paying the big bucks to add to the safety factor thru the big drops in big rafts. Since you are only cutting tammies for two days, this looks a lot like a invite to do a commercial trip instead of a volunteer tammy cutting trip.

Even tho you post this as a fund raiser, there is no way I have the extra money to pay 1500 bucks to do volunteer tammy cutting. I hate the tammie covered banks as much as anyone just do not think I want to shell out 1500 bucks to cut them. My bet is my disposable income is pretty much normal for the Buzz posters.

Like nico posted, I bet there are a lot of us with the gear that would be interested in a tammie cutting trip where actual food costs were shared but we do our own transport. Also if on Cataract Canyon a time when the flow is a lot more friendly to the average 14 foot selfbailer which I bet many Mountain Buzz rafters have.
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011   #7
moab, Utah
Paddling Since: 08
Yeah if they are running with OARS its basically a commercial trip. I'd much rather split food costs on a buddy's boat or swamp but I'm sure the company takes care of it all for this group.

Now if a group wanted to pull a private permit for the same/around the same launch dates, and decided to help with the tammies along the way, would this work? I bet NPS would appreciate the extra hands. I hate the tam-invasion as much as the next boatman.
I bet if we had enough interest we could assemble a private group willing to volunteer along the way. These dates are early enough that maybe some Moab guides I know would be willing to play instead of gettin paid.

Haven't been in the canyon in April but Westwater can be squirrely.
just because it's diet don't mean it's good for you!
junkshowriverchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011   #8
San Juans, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
This is probably not the forum to find people to pay to go down cat and cut tammies. I think most here are not rich and dont need to be 'guided' entertained or taken care of.

That said, I would jump at any opportunity to go on a NPS sanctioned cost sharing trip to cut tammies. I hate tammies and the spiders that live in them. I would relish the idea of laying waste to a patch of tammies at Spanish Bottom.

Instead of paying $1500, I'd rather load up my own boat with the needed gear and invest sweat equity. In my situtation $1500 is a LOT of money, and could pay for a 2 month ID trip, or about 30-50 days of private boating trips....

Sport Climbing is Neither
--The Verm
dgosn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011   #9
Detroit Mich, Detroit
Paddling Since: 2006
I like to duckie, can I bring my duckie and dry bag?

cavemanh20 is offline   Reply With Quote

cataract, cataract canyon