Old 05-02-2011   #31
Provo, Utah
Bad troll is bad.

afaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011   #32
boulder, Colorado
On a side note, Who is f'n STOKED?

I missed peak last year by one day. I cant wait to go back and see it 50% higher. How much bigger does is get from 55k to 80k?

squeakyboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011   #33
Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Yep. I am crazy. What's the worst that can happen? You can get separated from your boat and your party and maybe your PFD before you realize you are upside down. Cataract does not put a rescue boat after every rapid. Just after the one where you are the most likely to get seriously screwed and has a long history of hurting patries in lots of ways.
A lot of guides run an 18' bucket boat so it will fill up and be heavy so as not to flip.
Remember it is easy to be bold from a safe distance.
SBarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011   #34
RFV, Colorado
Paddling Since: 94
Cat is the only place I've ever seen people bailing water "INTO" the boat!
Big Dave
pasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011   #35
boulder, Colorado
Come on people. Why is everyone so focused on how dangerous it is? I dont get this. It seems that everyone on the forum always focuses on the fact that you will surely die. Whether it be the MF or Cataract or whatever.

However, I thought that that is the reason that most people choose to run stuff like this. Of course there is some risk, but it is far and away worth the feeling of being upright between 2.5 and 3 and knowing that you are going to miss Satans Gut.
squeakyboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011   #36
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Here's a thread about Cat at high water with highly detailed analysis of a run in one of the vids by a veteren boatman (and a bit about PFDs too...).

I had the honor of sitting around the campfire with a bunch of old time Canyon boaters one night; most had been guiding/running rivers in the west since the 70s or 80s and had seen a lot more than I ever will. The topic of high water Cat came up and after a few stories, the consensus among these guys about taking an oar rig on Cat at high water was "been there, done that, don't need to do it again."

Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011   #37
jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1976
have you ever been in a pancaking triple rig at 80+?just wondering....
stuntsheriff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011   #38
sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1983
Originally Posted by cmike1 View Post
How long does it take to get through westwater at 54,000?
I was on a west water trip at 56,000 in 83. We were out of the canyon in 2 hours, with a stop at the cabin. The water came up to the ledge the cabin was on, instead of 20 ft down. Suckers and boilers. You would be floating along and all the sudden 20 ft waves would surface from nowhere, full size cottonwood tree's shooting to the surface. Wildest two hours of my life hands down.
joecoolives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011   #39
Moab, Utah
Paddling Since: 99
Originally Posted by pinemnky13 View Post
Plus, there is a jet boat down there so what is the worst that can happen?
my sister could be waiting for you naked.[/QUOTE]

No Jetboat this year. Be prepared or suffer the consequences (e.g. DIE!)
Daledough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011   #40
Moab, Utah
Paddling Since: 1987
I don't know squeakyboater, but I know KennyV, and that guy talks smack even when he's on the shuttle. As a matter of fact, he never shuts up.

The difference between Cat in the 50's and cat in the 80's is like the difference between the 30's and 50's. The big shit gets bigger. I remember going down there after a season in the 50's-70's, doing a deso trip and coming back when it was in the 40's. The guide giving the safety talk gave the 70k cfs talk, and when I got in there, I was like all relieved and casual that it was only in the 40's. I was down there the last 2 years in the 40's and that was big enough to remind me that the big stuff must be really big.

Driving back east to visit Mom leaving the 6th of June so I am not tempted to be anywhere near that sh*t. But, if you're young in body or mind, and still invincible, you should go.

Plus, the Claw totally f*cks all the pre 2007 talks on how to run the Drops. Its like a second Niagara, on the left, between 2 and 3. Good luck with that.

sealion is offline   Reply With Quote

cataract, cataract canyon