Old 05-21-2011   #1
Avon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Cataract Canyon 2 day trip?

Looking for beta from some crusty high water cataract veterans on how fast I can paddle through the canyon in my kayak when flows are 60,000+ cfs. I figure if I were towed to the confluence day one and from there the water was moving average 10 mph I could run the remaining 60 miles of the canyon in 6 boat hours (not including scouting, lunch, breaks, etc). Also whats the tow situation like? Thanks!

Please respond only if you can provide some worthwhile beta on speed and tow. Iím not looking for advice on type 5 PFDís, extra floatation, gear in general, safety, what I'm not thinking of, or how dangerous you think cataract canyon might be.

Crazy Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011   #2
let me know when your going... i'm all in on that

seanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011   #3
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
You can kayak the whole thing easily in 2 days, I would guess about 6 hours a day on the water. 3 days at 10k is not that hard, it was just done solo. Tow in is for pussies.

PS-It might be too much milage for Front Rangers.
Creek Boaters Like Tight Boxes
cosurfgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011   #4

Bear in mind that with such heavy runoff, Powell is coming up pretty quickly; every day that passes is more flat water at the end.

But maybe that isn't a concern for you young guys with lots of testosterone (grin).

Rich Phillips
richp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011   #5
moab, Utah
Paddling Since: 1999
Call tag or tex for a jetboat in. I was down yesterday at 50K sweet water level and current all the way to dirty devil
motor_btn_sob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011   #6
Canberra, OZ
Paddling Since: 2003
You could do it in two days easily with no tow in or out if you want. I did it in 3 days at 55K and we had to force ourselves to camp early every day. Have fun in the eddy lines on #7!
yakkeranna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011   #7
Avon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Wait a second . . . did that guy call me a front ranger?

Thanks for the beta from the kayakers. . . and the one rafter trying to tell me what he thinks I wasnt thinking of. I guess thats what I get for not being clear in my original post . . . yeah. I'll let you know when I go.

Crazy Nate is offline   Reply With Quote

cataract, cataract canyon