Mountain Buzz banner

Cataract 15-20k

4K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  georgebent 
#1 ·
Have put in date of July 9, forecasted CFS of 20k on that date, with rain on the horizon.

Most of my party has bailed on me, leaving me the only oarsman with experience, though I've never rowed cataract. The other four in my party, have III+ experience on IKs, but no experience rowing rafts. I own a 14' Avon, and have access to both a 17' and 16' boat on loan.

Wondering If we should all pile into the 17 and bulldoze our way down river, or put someone who can read water but lacks oaring experience in a second boat and just find another party to run the more worrisome rapids with, just in case.

Any advice pertaining to rapid beta, camping, hiking, etc. would be much appreciated.

What to expect in mile long and big drops?

Thanks to all who chime in

#5 ·
A friend and I ran Cat in a solo 14' raft last year at just under 30k cfs. The rest of our crew bailed on us as well. We got a few looks from people (in J-rigs) thinking we were crazy, but we made it without incident. As the NPS ranger put it, "at 30k it gets down to Big Fun instead of Big Scary".

At lower flows, if you have big water experience, you should be fine. You could always double-rig the big drops if you didnt feel confident.

#8 ·
Don't sweat having just 3 people. Small group Cat trips are my favorite. You will be have 2 days of flat water until rapids to make friends with other groups on the river. If you are concerned about safety i would bet anyone commercial or private would run the rapids with you. With a small group and some extra beer, you may even be able to get someone to motor you out. Ice and beer will get you a long ways when it is 100 degrees

have fun
scott

#11 ·
Do it! 15k - 22k is one of the easier levels. There are things to miss but you can drive a school bus down the lines. Great camps and pretty easy scouts. And yes I have taken kegs down before. Wear your pfd when doing keg laps. #15 and big drop #2 & #3 have some stuff.

#14 ·
I'm doing it! And I'm pumped!! Can't wait to hike and hit some water! Looking for hiking suggestions, and thanking those who have called and posted. No keg, but 175 qt. Cooler dedicated to the cause. Plenty of beer and ice, just wanna raft, relax, and explore.

Any other info will be appreciated

#15 ·
I ran it a few years back somewhere in the 20-30 K range in a 13' boat. It was exciting, but it was manageable. We had three boats in our crew, but we ran into two other groups in the big drops and were all able to help each other out. Be sure to pay attention to the runnout of big drop 2, even after you've passed the crux at the top. There's a hole in there somewhere that can sneak up on you (I speak from experience)

There's great hiking to be had at Spanish bottom, with a trail leading up to the rim and into the Doll House, where there is always some shade and lots of really cool pinnacles to explore around in. It's one of my favorite river hikes anywhere. The climb-up faces southeast with no morning shade at all, so get started early and bring lots of water.

Have fun!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.