Old 04-23-2012   #1
Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 2012
cat anchor questions

Hi all - noob here so bear with me.
For a little perspective on where I am coming from. I am a steelhead & salmon fisherman with a little new-to-me 10' Bad Cat. I am not nearly as hard core as most of you, all the water I run is class III or less.

Does position of the anchor matter? Right now my anchor is mounted off the back/center of the frame (about 16” behind my seat). I was wondering about moving it either forward or attaching an nrs bar on the back to move it further back. How does the cat react to an anchor deployed from the middle of a cat (directly under my seat) as opposed to the rear? I found I like being able to anchor up (in slower water), stand on the deck and fish as the height gives me great advantage for site fishing and casting accuracy so I am wondering if different anchor position would be better suited for this (reduced boat action in the current, better ”sticking” of the anchor). On the other hand I am trying to keep the weight centered and having the anchor directly under my chair would help in that aspect. My guess is that having the anchor in the center would create a lot more movement than anchoring from the rear, but would it be better the farther back you go?

Does anyone make an anchor foot release mechanism? I do a lot of bobber dogging (float & jig fishing while traveling downstream). When I hook up I have to set the hook, throw the rod in the holder, row like heck to anchor-able water, drop the anchor, grab the pole & fight the fish. Right now I have a ratchet pulley down by my foot that I have to lean over, press & hold the little lever on to release line. Being able to drop anchor with my foot would make that process more efficient and less cumbersome.

gringo pescador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012   #2
portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
I'd think if you had a boom out the back past where the tubes come out of the water this wound keep the boat trcking the best. Center the anchor boom between the pontoons

Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it "guaranteed", I will. I got spare time.
Avatard is offline   Reply With Quote
lafayette, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
If when you stand to fish you are in the front of the seat with the anchor mounted 16" behind your seat, you will be fine. Your extra weight on the front of the tubes will hold you steady enough. Leave the oars is the water and that will also help steady you cat. is offline   Reply With Quote
lafayette, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
This is the anchor release your looking for.
You might want to get a river syle 15# anchor form Cabela's or walmart, where ever. They hold pretty good in stronger currents.

Bo's Anchor Release, Inc. - Products is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012   #5
Aurora, Oregon
Paddling Since: 5

As an avid steelheader and a former 10ft pontoon boat owner, (now have a bigger 2 man boat) I can hopefully offer some advice on this issue. The farther back on your boat you place your anchor pully, the more stable you will be while at anchor in current. Even if your anchor pully is located 3 feet from the end of the tubes will cause your boat to wander back and forth in the current. The stronger the current, the worse it gets. I built an extension on the arm of my anchor puller and it helped considerably. Also pay close attention to the location of your oar blades whaile at anchor. Even a little bit of non-alignment in the blades will cause the boat to pull to one side.
Anchor Foot release mechanisms are available. I would just to a search for "drift boat anchor systems" and you should get what you need.
As a bit of advice, a 20lb pyramid anchor should be sufficient. If it drags, try letting out a little more line to decrease the angle of the anchor rope.
And never, never tie a knot at the end of your anchor rope. If you happen to get into trouble, just release the anchor rope and float on down the river. Anchors and rope are easily replaced.

Good fishing
herdsire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012   #6
Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 2012
Thanks for the tips and info! I will definately not be moving it forward then. I will do some more "field research" before putting the time and effort into moving it back any further.
Yes, I am standing in front of the seat, so giving me 3-3.5' between me and the anchor pully.
I will check out Bo's when I am off work (company's random bad website detector decided it was too risky for work) and do a search on DB anchor systems.
I have a 20# pyramid that wasn't deploying very fast and when it hit bottom it was dragging and not letting any more line out (unless I manually pulled the line thorugh the wratchet). So I threw a 10# barbell weight on top of it which was enough weight to solve the problem. Then reading one of the threads on here the light came on (I'm slow, but I get there) and I realized the rope (1/2") was too big for the wratchet pulley (3/8"). So I swapped it out witha new 3/8" rope. Night and day difference in the garage, I havent had a chance to test it on the water yet, but am thinking the 20# will do fine now that I will be able to let line out to better the angle.
And thanks for the no-knot tip - already knew that one (but the next guy who reads this might not) and one of the 1st things I did on it was to mount an emergency knife within easy reach.

gringo pescador is offline   Reply With Quote