Old 05-05-2013   #21

Nathan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013   #22
Ashville North Carolina, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
It was questionably low considering the long drive. Everything was runnable. More water would be better...

~Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013   #23
doesn't need a fake name
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Yeah, low but a ton of fun. And the hike gets easier every year.
leif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013   #24
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
Obviously more water would be better.... It was min low but tons of fun. No pain no peaches we paddled to the interstate the hike out was easy
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013   #25
The hike out was easy at the interstate, but how was the hike in? We were wondering who stashed the boat when we were hiking out Saturday.

I looked at what the gauge was showing two years ago when we spent a couple weekends up there. The three days were 100, 92 and 66 cfs. Saturday the gauge was 70s and Sunday it was 80s and there was more water than the day with 100 a couple years ago. The fresh snow I'm sure helped, but I left feeling the gauge really doesn't give much indication of what the run will be like other than once it starts to come up it's probably in.

Considering the drive from Fort Collins is shorter than the drive to Gore it's worth it. From Denver it's about the same for Boxelder or Escalante. Boxelder makes you earn it.
Nathan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013   #26
Bozeman, Montana
It was more of a hike over. we paddled the upper stretch Friday got a super late start and had to get back to casper so spent some time with the family and than came back on Sunday finished hiking boats out and than back in. It was Good! Overall it was something like 2.5 hours of hiking. It's hard to say how much is up there I agree Nathan the gauge is far to close to the source and with the melt water coming in right now I feel like there is curve relative to the snow pack. It was a fun time. Box elder is great box training one trip will get you in shape.
Old 05-08-2013   #27
Bozeman, Montana
Some vid of the lower canyon in here...

Push play.. And make sure to paddle to the platte..
Old 05-08-2013   #28
Fraser, Colorado
more beta please?

Firstly, thanks, caspermike, for tipping us off that boxelder was running. I feel richer for having experienced that beautiful canyon.

However, I also feel like a fool by comparison. We paddled only about half of the canyon and then hiked out at about the deepest part. That sucked. You paddled the whole canyon and hiked flat(ish?) terrain to a road. WTF?

We scouted the exit to the canyon and couldn't find a view without a "no tresspassing" sign. You mentioned paddling to the Platte, which is even farther than the interstate, and which is a ways from the exit of the canyon. Is this a secret, or would you mind giving us the skinny on your takeout? Are there fence portages and trespassing issues? Does a crew have to paddle with you to finish the canyon? I'd like to paddle that again, but not if I have to hike out half way again.
foreverhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013   #29
Bozeman, Montana
You pretty much have to do a little portage up and over anyways you guys took the easier way brother. No easy way to do it the lower is a good hike back in and than down the river through private property.. We had a slight confrontation at the land at the interstate so if You continue down stream to a bridge with possible easement like the state highway bridge or possibly even further to the platte. The land owners were pretty ignorant to the boating access laws in wyo and had a problem with us floating through the bixby ranch land but we have that sorted out for the most part. They thought that water rights ment they owned the creek, which in wyoming is false. They can own the land under the creek but we have the legal right to float and portage fences if you can't get under them. I made the mistake of thinking the interstate was federal land instead it was still private the manager lady was pissed. So we had a nice highway patrol show up give us warning and told her to beat it and get the water rights law straight. Which was nice he also drove back up to the property to give them a chat. He also seen the past box elder videos and is down to brown. Remember to stay in the creek and be quite and respectful and know the laws! And maybe get a land ownership map.. Anybody can do it.. Just have to put the extra effort in. Guess we didn't put enough in but as long as we paddle to a legit take out its not a problem...

Also it's possible to run the canyon in its entirety but that's a big BUT. Take a hike in and look around in the middle gorge bs falls has some slight consequences but it has been run with bad and better results..
Old 05-08-2013   #30
B.F.E., Wyoming
Papa CM you in wyo still?

freexbiker is offline   Reply With Quote