Old 07-21-2005   #1
Cascade Ck.

Anybody ran the short section just below 550 with any water in it? We took a look at it about a month ago at about 150 or so... There was some weird sh*t going on in there, but it looked manageable... other than the hike out.
There was a weird notch looking drop with some serious recirc, right above a 10 or 14'er. looked fun.

I've heard of people running it with hand paddles at super low H20.

Anyone know the flow recently?

sward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005   #2
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
I was in there yesterday and we had to hike out. We planned on just "running" it but the flow was way too high once you got in the gorge. I was definatly thinking of boating when I was in there. I think it is good to go at these flows. Be really careful of the last drop. It is ~10 to 12 ft and there is shelf you have to clear. A boater that used to live in Durango and bartended at the G-spot ran it and broke his ankle so you have to be careful. His name is Monty, you might know him. He was here this year during high water and I always see him when I am boating in cali. Wayne Chorter has run it at high water and he said it is good to go, good luck tracking him down. I hope this helps.

Good luck

Creek Boaters Like Tight Boxes
cosurfgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005   #3
placerville, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
heard of a guy having to get roped out on river left against the wall below the 1st notchy drop. we looked a few times but never did it. what is between this mini gorge and the confluence with lime?
steven is offline   Reply With Quote