Old 02-04-2011   #61
Bazzaro, World
Paddling Since: 2020
Ihowemnt, You do realize that I am not opposed to the transpertation of the equipment being transported via HWY 12. I don't have a good compromise to bring to the table for this issue. If you have a good compromise, then I may be swayed. So, if you want me there??? Also, I think that it is awsome that all there equipment is getting busted up. That means someone that works over here will have to fix it. I will be suprised if anyone will be effected negitivly long term by this project.

dirtbagkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011   #62
Bazzaro, World
Slickhorn; Thanks for your input, I too agree that public sentiment is very important. I am sorry that I "holier-than-thou kumbaya" you.

dirtbagkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011   #63
Little Village, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Mike from Casper has a new name?
Uh, I'm just gonna go find a cash machine.
Riparian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011   #64
Delays too long: Idaho says ConocoPhillips needs new megaload transport plan

LEWISTON, Idaho - The Idaho Transportation Department says it is requiring ConocoPhillips to submit a new plan before allowing the oil company to send a second giant truckload of refinery equipment after the first caused a 59-minute traffic delay at a sharp curve on U.S. Highway 12.

Agency spokesman Adam Rush says the delay occurred as the load went around a sharp curve between Greer and Kamiah. The shipments are allowed to delay traffic no longer than 15 minutes.

The Lewiston Tribune reports that the load left Orofino just after 10 p.m. Wednesday and arrived at Kooskia by about 5:15 a.m. Thursday.
The company kept the load in Kooskia Thursday night because of snow predicted in the area.

The load is the first of four headed for a refinery in Billings, Mont.
jkodadek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011   #65
McCall, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2009
Great news! Thanks for the update jkodadek. Just spoke with the ED of All Against The Haul, and the rally for tomorrow on Lolo Pass has been CANCELED due to weather and the rig stopping in Kooskia. Next rally TBD.

First Friday tonight is still a GO. AATH will be on the SW corner of Higgins and Main till 8pm. Come meet Rick Bass and get a LIMITED PRODUCTION copy of The Heart of the Monster Co-authored by David James Duncan.

...and just to add to the shadyness of these loads going through....If anyone has driven HWY12 lately you will surely notice (and hear) the new coating of large gravel chunks on east side of the pass. IDT did not authorize this dump and has no idea where the material came from....hmmm....the plot thickens!
emelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011   #66

kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011   #67
vancouver, Washington
Paddling Since: 1996
Hey aren't these rigs so huge you can just park underneath them??? Thanks for the shade, oil industry!!!
slamkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011   #68
at my house, Montana
Originally Posted by lhowemt View Post
Megaloads caused delays, scraped against rocks | KREM 2 News | | When it Matters Most | News

Oops, maybe they should have asked someone what the roadway is like
Comments Page

Go to this website if you'd like to comment to ITD regarding Conoco's extended delays, apparent miscalculation in their ability to move the vehicle properly and per regs, and to encourage them to assert the appropriate penalties on all of the delays. And ask that Conoco be required to demonstrate the details of how they think they can continue without further problems (delays, damage, getting stuck). Promises aren't enough any more.

The first truck is still stuck in Kooskia due to weather, and not expected to consider moving until Monday.
lhowemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011   #69
at my house, Montana
A river poet

David James Duncan, one of the two gear river poets IMO, writes this piece for Outside magazine regarding the Mega Hauls.

The High and Wide Industrial Corridor |

If you've not read the book, you can check it out here, or ask you local independent bookseller to order it for you. It is truly inspirational:

All Against The Haul |*All Against The Haul

If you aren't familiar with DVD, I recommend "The River Why".

The current "en route" load is still stuck in Kooskia and we continue to get normal winter weather and tons of snow. And no word on modifying their Plan to incorporate their numerous traffic delays and problems with curvy roads and rock faces on night #2 (their last move). Can someone get Emmert/Conoco a tape measure, topo map, and weather data?
Old 02-09-2011   #70
at my house, Montana
Pray for the Lochsa tonight

Tonight is the first night the beast is entering our boating waters. Starting from just below the Knife Edge campground/takeout, they plan to move 30 miles along the Lochsa tonight alone. Let's hope it isn't easy for them, they rethink their plan, yet nothing goes into the river.

Here's a photo of the beast:
No North Idaho Transport Corridor!'s Photos - Wall Photos | Facebook

There is hope for our Lovely Lochsa, perhaps they do have another route after all:

Mackenzie River industrial shipping closer than ever
Despite massive oilsands modules getting the go-ahead for road shipment through northwestern USA, the company hoping to use northern riverways for transportation of Asian-manufactured industrial goods says a northern transportation route is closer than ever.
NTCL (Northern Transportation Company Limited.) claims its idea for shipping modules from Asia down the Mackenzie River to Hay River, and then by road to Alberta, has taken root in Asian markets following a December trip where company representative Martin Landry visited three Korean companies.

Landry told The Journal that talks are progressing on a small contract with a Korean manufacturer that could see the first shipment going directly from an Asian port to Herschel Island, and then up the Mackenzie to Hay River.

The contract would be split into two shipments, with modules small enough to be easily transported by road into Alberta, Landry said. He added that the contract would act as a trial run, showing other manufacturers that the route can be cost and time-effective compared to other shipping options.

The Inuvialuit and Inuit-owned company's northern shipping route was originally conceived as running up the Mackenzie and Slave Rivers to Lake Athabasca, before joining a road for transportation links into Alberta's oilsands region.

That option fell through due to the cost of building a road from Fort McKay, 90 kms north of Fort McMurray, to Lake Athabasca.

The northern shipping option resurfaced late in 2010, as Imperial Oil's plan to truck giant oilsands modules through Idaho and Montana met with stiff resistance from protestors along the route.

By then, however, the northern route had been modified to take the modules off barges in Hay River and truck them south through Alberta to Fort McMurray.

At the time, Landry said that up to seven bridges in northern Alberta would have to be expanded to deal with large oilsands modules as part of the road route.

With the new proposal NTCL is considering, however, Landry said that those kinds of road modifications will not be necessary as the goods are small enough to transport by road.

Although Landry would not say who NTCL's client is, he did confirm that modules would not be for the oilsands.

The proposal came out of the trip he took to Korea before Christmas.

"Korea is industrialized like crazy," Landry said. "I got the feeling it's not just oilsands stuff they are looking to bring to Canada."

Meanwhile, Idaho legislators gave the go-ahead for Conoco-Phillips to ship three-story-high modules through the state earlier this year, leading to speculation that Imperial Oil's giant modules heading to its Kearl project near Fort McMurray will also be approved.

Thirty of the 207 modules that will eventually be pieced into a bitumen separation facility at Kearl currently sit at the Port of Lewiston, in Idaho.

If the company gets state approval, the modules will be trucked 2,100 km, crossing into Canada at the Alberta-Montana border and going on to Fort McMurray.

The USA section of the route has met resistance from environmentalists, tourism operators and locals of the region.