Old 07-12-2012   #1
Canadian Rockies

Trying to find some beta on the region. What are the classics? Where is the best basecamp for bigwater play, for creeking? Are there any good resources to do research? Other things to check out in the area? Really anything you got.

paulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012   #2
Calgary, Alberta
They're out of print now I think, but if you can get a hold of "Canadian Rockies Whitewater" by Stuart Smith (I have the "Southern Rockies" version, but I think there are others), it's a good resource.

cupido76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012   #3
Haley Station, Ontario
Paddling Since: 2002
Try this is a local(ish) forum for that area.

As for big water play the Clearwater will probably be pretty good but it's not in the Rockies.

Dan Caldwell
Rapid Media TV Guy
Read rapids? Read Rapid! The Whitewater Magazine
Join our Facebook Page for Special Offers
and read all of our back issues online for FREE!
DanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012   #4
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
You can also call up aquabatics, the local calgary shop. They could point you to info online. Calpaddle is good to. They are helpful. There is an online website that list a handful of runs that has some info. Not as good as AW or what eddyflower used to be, but in that vein.
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012   #5
Grande Cache, Alberta
Paddling Since: 2003
You could also check out for more info on Alberta and British Columbia.

mark_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012   #6
Okemos, Michigan
A couple questions: 1.)When do you plan to go? and 2.)Do you actually want to go somewhere in the "Rockies" or are you just looking for somewhere in western Canada?
The reason that I ask is that here in the Rockies (really the Canadian version of the Front Range) the water is starting to peter out. But, if you were to head over to the Clearwater, as Dan suggested, you would not be disappointed at this time of year. Great selection of creeks in Wells Gray and the Clearwater itself is one of the best rivers I've ever paddled. Starting to drop into a good playboating range right now too. If you want some details on it, check out The clearwater is in the Thompson section.
You could also give Endless Adventure in Crescent Valley a holler. Again, not in the rockies but it's an awesome area and you would not be disappointed.
wide eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012   #7
If I plan something in my head it usually grows until sometime I can make it happen. That being said, I am probably not going to pull this off this year, but I was looking into a road trip to montana and my searches started heading north. It just looks like beautiful country and from these sights it looks like pretty awesome whitewater. Is there anything that runs into the fall out there? Is June the best bet for everything running?
Old 07-17-2012   #8
Oh and yes, all of Western Canada really, I have a pretty good feel for costal BC but I think that is a going to have to be a different trip.
Old 07-17-2012   #9
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
I've been wanting to go to BC for a long time. Some friends have boated the western slope of the rockies (eastern selkirks?) a lot, but it was a long time ago. They've always said August is when it starts coming in for cats, run off has slowed and the technical stuff becomes manageable (they are Class V catboaters). Maybe next year, or the next....

I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is online now   Reply With Quote