Old 12-12-2007   #1
Albury, NSW
Paddling Since: 2001
Canada Paddling

G'day. Looking at heading over to Canada some time next year (from Australia). Buying a van, and cruising around for a number of months on paddling / general adventures. I hear BC is the place to go? Not too sure where to start, so was hoping somebody here can point me in the right direction in terms of:
- Websites of any good Canadian paddling forums
- If summer will still offer plenty of good (~class IV) water
- If it is easy to hook up with paddlers in the region most days of the week, given I'm likely to be heading over by myself.

Thanks, Simon.

mr tickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007   #2
Summit, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via AIM to COUNT
BC's the shit. As far as the biggest paddling regions (Canada's a big country and will be difficult to really get around unless you've got a lot of time) you've basically got BC and Ontario/Quebec. If you go the ON/QB route and hit up the Ottawa, ,ake sure you hike into the Upper Petawawa. Quality big water IV/IV+. It's one of my all-time favorite runs. The Madawaska, Gatineau, Rouge, and more are runs with good options, too.

"The world would be a better place if everyone kayaked."-Brad Ludden (Valhalla)
"You only get one chance to run a drop blind."-DD
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007   #3
Some info.....

There are a couple of excellent guidebooks for eastern BC/Alberta. Whitewater of the Central Rockies and Whitewater of the Southern Rockies, both by Stuart Smith. These are excellent resources for that area. West Kootenay Whitewater by Jeff Krueger is also good, though a little harder to find from afar....
I have paddled a fair amount in both BC and Alberta, would be happy to share what I know. Feel free to email me if you want more info.
By the way, if you are alone, most of the runs that I really enjoyed would be tough without some shuttle help... There are way fewer boaters up that way than you would expect considering the quality of the whitewater. Check out www.kayakwest.comas well. This is an excellent site and the guys running it are very good people. Check it out.
stonefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007   #4
Boulder, Colorado
try Whitewater in southernwest BC by Claudia Schwab you can get it here: Welcome to the Brushy Mountain Publishing Online Store! . This book is a great class 4 guidebook. There are many great class 4 runs around whistler: upper cheakamus, birkenhead, soo, green and the calahan which is mostly class 4 with two waterfalls (one of the best 25 footers in BC). I found it was best to just go to the upper cheakamus takeout/campground and met people there. hope to see ya up there in august.
tj@cu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007   #5
I know you guys hate it when I post my link but I can't help it because I love BC and I have really been trying to document the runs were doing up there.

Check it out BC River Base & Levels

theprofessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007   #6
Albury, NSW
Paddling Since: 2001

Thanks for all the info guys. I'll do some more digging around over xmas with the links / references provided, but might jump back on here if I hit any dead ends. Thanks again, looking forward to the trip immensely!

mr tickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007   #7
Julesberg, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
BC is cool Im sure, but check out Quebec and especially the Ottawa. There is some great HUGE play spots up stream of the city of ottawa and google lachine in montreal and it runs all summer with nice warm water. There is also a plethora of good 4+ all over the place up there. I would say get a guide book and do a little internet research.
Ryde164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007   #8
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006

I'm an Aussie living in Canada, via Colorado (hence the reason I still check these boards). For Canadian websites, check out But we're pretty much transients too, travel around a lot, pm me when you get here, and I'll see if I can help you out.

For everyone in Colorado, get your arses up here and come ski with me...

Oopps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007   #9
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
For what it is worth, there seems to be a substantial community of Aussies and Kiwi's in Rossland, BC. Good skiing there (red mtn and nearby whitewater), not sure about the boating. Might check out shops in that area.
lhowemt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007   #10
Send a message via MSN to Jiberish
The Ottawa area is super fun. There is some good creeking as well in Quebec. You can drive 4 hours to Montreal, surf lachine all summer. If it rains the options are really endless. Maniwaki is about 2 hours from the Ottawa river (beachburg ON), there you can run a fun class 4ish big water run and surf some epic waves. All the water up there is like a bath tub with sunny days. Lots of fun to be had off the water as well if you meet up with the local crews, which is hard not to do! hahha....

I'll be up there next July and August! Cheers

Ben Guska

Jiberish is offline   Reply With Quote