Old 09-26-2004   #1
Can you scout Bailey by mountain bike?

I'd like to scout all of Bailey before running it. The old railroad bed goes along the run, doesn't it? Can you ride it on mountain bike to scout the run?

cstork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2004   #2
crested butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Send a message via Yahoo to milo
you may find it easier and prettier out of the seat of your boat....access by bike is possible but may have to be a bit sneaky to get onto the RR is there on river right......

milo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2004   #3
I would guess that it wouldn't be possible, or feasible. You might be able to hike in and see part of it though...but I would just consider running it with someone that knows it.
Kyle McCutchen
Cutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2004   #4
Laramie, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1992
If you're determined it is definately possible. It just involves a good topo map and a desire to explore (ie get lost). There is a lot of mounain biking on the river right side. From the right side you could probably figure out how to get to "Crossons" which is nothing more than a couple of abandoned shacks by the river, but there is a bridge over the river there and at that point you're above the private land and could head upstream on the railroad grade.
badkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004   #5
Yea, I'd love to scout it by boat, but the water isn't cooperating. Also, CRC says that some of the key rapids are hard to spot. On a bike, I can take it slow and take my time.
cstork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004   #6
The area around the first rapid (four falls) is on private land and is guarded. We lingered there a little too long once and the owner let us know about it. Try to stick to National Forest land as much as possible. I think the owner is fairly cool, but we don't want to risk angering him since we need to portage on his land to avoid the first drop. There is a cable across the river just down stream of four falls that symbolizes the public land. If you talk to him, he may let you on as long as you don't have a fishing rod. (superb fishing btw)
bigboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004   #7
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
It is very possible to explore Bailey Canyon by mountain bike. Take the road out of Bailey that leads to the put in (CR 64?). Follow this well past where the road leaves the river. A few (couple?) miles after the road leaves the river there is a junction of a road that leads to the east. Take this road and follow the signs to the EOS saw mill. Just before you get to the saw mill, take a left on a forsest service road. You will pass a small campground, then get to where the road is gated off. The road was closed after the Hi Meadow fire in 2002. There is a nice parking area about 1/8-mile up from the gate. You can bike around the gate (nat'l forest land) down to Crossons (2 miles). At Crossons, you can cross the river and follow the river on the railroad grade upstream to see all the major drops except 4 falls that is private. There will be a couple places you will have to get off the bike to go through some over growth, but overall, that is probably a good way to see the canyon.
rivermanryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004   #8
I did this a couple of years ago just as was described above. You can see Deer Creek and Super Max easily. The railroad grade switches sides just before you get to the bottom of the steeps. It is actually a nice ride. Posted the pics on Webshots under Bailey at Low Water.

Khris is offline   Reply With Quote