Old 06-17-2012   #1
nooo, usaaa
Paddling Since: 2012
Can a whitewater kayak be too big?

i just bought w whitewater kayak. it is a 2007 jackson megarocker. it is the largest boat in the rocker series. there are different sizes for people with different weights, the mega rocker is made for people who weigh around or over 200 pounds. i weigh about 140 pounds. is this a problem? the owner of the store i bought it form said it is fine, but i think the boat is too big. every kayaker i have seen has a boat that seems to fit their body size. i want to get a slightly smaller boat that is a similar style. i tried the boat out some rapids and it is very stable and hard to tip over but it seemed like it was kind of hard to steer and make quick movements. also, i found a website that says the minimum weight for the boat is 200 pounds.

Jackson Kayak Mega-Rocker

thank you for your answers

jimbothethird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012   #2
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Yes, a boat can be too big for efficient navigation of whitewater.....and it sounds like you found one. Paddling a boat with too much volume is similar to trying to take a school bus down a 4wd road. It will feel sluggish and slow to react, difficult to keep on track and tough to roll once you flip.

GARNA’s mission is to foster stewardship of the resources of the greater Arkansas River region through education, volunteerism and experiences.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012   #3
Jenks, Oklahoma
I own and paddle a Mega Rocker

But I weigh in at 200 pounds then add a bunch of creeking gear. When I got the boat I weighed around 230. (weight loss for medical condition type 2 Diabetes diagnosis)

At 140 pounds, my bet is this boat will float way high and bounce around a lot for you. Probably hard to control and go where you want to go.

At my weight, this is a good creek boat for me. For you, my bet is you will not be a happy boater.

Find yourself a used Jackson Hero after selling that Mega Rocker to a much larger boater.

And, post on the Buzz for feedback before you buy anything else from that vendor!!
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012   #4
Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2009
At 260 that boat was right for me at the 220 I weigh now I much prefer the rocker and at 140 I don't think it would respond at all.
mbrookins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012   #5
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
you'll need to trade that in for sure, or fill it with rocks...

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012   #6
Conifer, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
I agree with everyone else... It would be a ok boat for your first time to see if you wanted to kayak because it would be more stable and ride higher on something easy if you were borrowing it.. But not to own,roll,or actually become a whitewater paddler..
MikeThulin1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012   #7
San Juan Islands, Washington
that boat is huge, way too big for you too be happy with, 90 gallons of volume is a lot of boat. I still have my Micro 250 and that was a big boat at 78 gallons but was perfect for anyone over 200 lbs. I'd look for something smaller, you'd be much happier.
tomrefried is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012   #8
Farmington, Utah
Paddling Since: 2009
Where did you buy it. They must have been trying to get rid of that boat pretty bad.
Flying_Spaghetti_Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012   #9
nooo, usaaa
Paddling Since: 2012
thanks everyone, now i am positive that i need a new boat. i will be able to return it so its not a big problem. the owner of the store really seems to believe the boat will be fine, but i have heard more people say that a smaller boat will be better and it makes sense. why else would kayak companies make different size then? if anyone has anything else to add please do
jimbothethird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012   #10
Jenks, Oklahoma
Do not waste time, return the boat before the seller changes his mind!

okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote