Old 05-29-2007   #1
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Campsite Stealing

I wanted to relay a story about something that happened this weekend to me and my friends and get people's opinions on what they would have done in my situation or have done in similiar situations in the past.

My group of 8 people was camping at a BLM site in NM over this past weekend. We had gotten there on Friday and stayed through Monday. Sunday night we went to town to have dinner and didn't get back until about 9:00. We had 2 tents setup and couple camp chairs sitting around and some firewood holding our spot. I also spoke with 2 people that were eyeing our site and told them that we would be coming back that night. When we get back from town there are 15 people (including the 2 I talked too) sitting around our campfire in our chairs burning our wood. It was a relatively small firepit and was already crammed. Needless to say most of us were really pissed but what made matters worse was there only response was "I guess we snaked your campsite...hahahhah" and "we've been coming here for 15 years." I think it was their sence of entitlement that pissed me off the most. They did offer to let us hang out with them. (how gracious of them, huh)

My opinion is I don't give a shit how long you've been coming somewhere it's first come first served on campsites and you don't just occupy someone elses campsite. That's basic courtesy.

goldcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007   #2
Thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Did you report it? Did you get some identification information?

It sucks they swiped your site, but if you don't report them, they'll do it again.

You ARE a soul, you HAVE a body.

rockinRio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007   #3
Winter Park, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
I totally agree that their taking over your camp while you were gone was incredibly rude, especially since they actually spoke to you first. And, the fact that they sat in your chairs and burned YOUR wood is just CRAP! I agree that they should've been reported, but at 9 pm it's a bit difficult to locate the resources you need to contact. I wish those scumbags nothing but bad karma!
CWorthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007   #4
Eagle County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Get drunk and start shooting guns and I bet they would leave.
WhiteLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007   #5

report? who's going to listen to that? excuse me officer, someone stole my campsite?

obviously, quite inconsiderate and i would also be mad...however, if you're not the fighting type, then i'd just suggest moving elsewhere.

now, back to my video game debates on
Steve Kahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007   #6
Spits Hot Fire
N. Cascades, Washington
Were they sponsored kayakers?
FLOWTORCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007   #7
Englewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
Originally Posted by WhiteLightning View Post
Get drunk and start shooting guns and I bet they would leave.

First-class tools. They're lucky you didn't dump sugar in their gas tanks after they went to bed - lots of people here would have.
Join up, suckas.

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
- Soren Kierkegaard
Caspian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007   #8
I like the idea of getting drunk and shooting - I did that once (minus the drunk part) in similar situation camping on the Chama and those jackasses couldnt get out of there fast enough - they went from smug to scared in hurry -
and just to be clear - we werent drunk - it wasnt night time and we were shooting into a hillside - oh, and none of us could ever hope to be sponsored -
Aztec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007   #9
on your sister, ...
Man, that's when you wish you had a full groover to just kick over in the center of "their" camp.

"Ooops, I just spilled 30 lbs of runny shit here. Have a nice day."
tuberslickmysweatyballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007   #10
Summit, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Some kind of revenge would have been
Appropriate. What can you do though? Be nice and be on your way. Karma will kick them in the ass eventually!!

ecarlson972 is offline   Reply With Quote