Old 08-16-2011   #31
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via AIM to J
It's considerate, but not required, to camp at Radium or Rancho or Pumphouse if you plan on doing laps in the high traffic season. Leave the river sites for those just passing through for a night.

I don't see any problem if you are boating into a campsite, hiking for the day out of the campsite or just enjoying camp and staying for 2 nights or whatever. That's fair game.

Poaching a site on Thursday night, and not sleeping there, so you can use it Friday night should be punishable by death.

J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011   #32
Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
I agree that it is disappointing not to get a campsite in your favorite area or where you had wanted to camp but those are the breaks. You see this very same thing in developed / undeveloped campsites if someone stays for more than one night. You can't be mad b/c someone got to the camp before you. The idea that someone has to stay with the camp to make it legit is just ridiculous.

Eagle Mapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011   #33
Paddling Since: 1998
Very interesting conversation! I definitely agree w/ all involved re: hogging space and setting up a camp to reserve space. This is a problem on 2 sections of the CO River (Pumphose and Ruby/Horsethief) where camps are taken by others that overstay their welcome. Personally, I see absolutely nothing wrong w/ staying in the canyon, and running day trips on Pumphouse. Someone mention leave it for those who are passing through...... Where are they passing through from???? Did them and their family just run Gore?????

I will not be saving any space for anyone on Pumphouse this weekend, but will be in the area and running day trips. The sheer volume of boaters, and the beginner boaters w/ absolutely no etiquette when it comes to time used at the boat ramps are the very reasons I have stayed away from this section for so long!

Thanks again for the interesting debate!
threepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011   #34
Aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Yeah, that does suck and it makes me crazy when it happens to me. I usually leave the rafts at camp and lap the run with my kayak. Either way, there's usually so much stuff there it's obvious that people are actually camping there. We don't travel light these days The site savers are jerks, but that's a different situation.
kclowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011   #35
HSS, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
Originally Posted by kclowe
I also don't see anything wrong with camping for multiple nights in the same place (that is not permitted or regulated) and still having a good time on the river during the day. I guess we will just have to agree to disagree.
Gray area... camp well utilized, and yet on this stretch with all the day use, limits lunch spots. If you get three groups doing this below radium and two commercial groups get down there and take spots for lunch, every one else ends up eating on the weeds. (Which I often strive for while fishing, but if you have guests, sometimes the established sites are nice). I have a hard time deciding to pull in and use someone's camp for my lunch spot. Pushing on poor etiquette.
rafterswhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011   #36
Eagle, Colorado
I would think if someone has a camp taken but they are out running a lap, it would be fine to stop and have lunch as long you don't distrub their belongings. I am curious what other peoples thoughts are on this topic.
Eagle Mapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011   #37
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
From my perspective, I don't see much difference between the night-before site savers (who may be elsewhere in the canyon - who knows?) and the camp-then-do-a-lappers. How far away do you have to get from the river before you're saving a site? Home? The other side of the Trough road? Whatever's convenient? What time do you have to return to your tent to make it a legitimate spot for the night? And if you don't return...who'll know?

The other issue, which may not be germaine, is whether the unoccupied tent you see up at 10:30 in the morning will be there that night, or if someone plans to break down after their day lap is over? If no one's around, you can't even ask.

I guess if their stuff is there, you forfeit the right to ask, since it's theirs until it isn't. I've pulled into Island on a Saturday around noon, with other people's tents up, and asked if it was okay if I hung out in the eddy until their party was ready to leave. The question answers itself if no one's there.'s pretty clear that the already Darwinian fortunes of getting a decent place to camp on a Saturday night are simply that much tougher now. We don't even try anymore - we aim for Thursday night at the res or Pumphouse, and launch early Fri to camp Fri night. Costs a day off work, but it's worth it. It is what it is.

It wouldn't be me, but I could easily imagine some nasty conflicts arising when a party pulls into a big camp (say, Bench 2), finds one tent and no boat...and decides to set up their stuff anyway. If it's regarded as 'common sense' that a single tent in an otherwise unoccupied campsite means that site is taken, how soon before it becomes 'common sense' that an unoccupied campsite is...unoccupied?
Beardance42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011   #38
Golden, CO
Paddling Since: 1856
How about leaving a cheap Kmart tent and chair at Island campsite for the whole summer so you always have a spot "reserved" for your own usage? is first come first serve on campsites. What idiot would set up a tent on Thursday to hog a site for the weekend.
FrankC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011   #39
North Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007

So, we were thinking of running shuttle & launching from Pumphouse on Friday, and taking out at State Bridge or Rancho on Sunday. What would be best two camps on night one and two??? Was thinking of floating it solo and setting up some tents in select spots the day before the launch of our raft trip. Thanks![/QUOTE]

Aholes and Jag Offs pull this BS on the river. Even worse two camp sites. Post when you plan on doing this, I know some folks who can use a new tent and chairs compliments of a real dbag.
nicho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011   #40
Summit County, Colorado
kclowe......your are 100% CORRECT. I couldn't agree with you more!

Plain and simple people, if you set up camp and plan on staying the night, ITS YOURS.
If you set up camp on Thursday night, leave, and don't plan on staying in that site until Saturday or Sunday.......your a douche bag!

SummitSurfer is offline   Reply With Quote