Old 07-21-2008   #1
Camping Near Foxton?

Hey guys, I was wondering if I could get some of that classic Buzz beta. We are hoping to find some quality camping within the vicinty of Foxton or even Chutes area. Any suggestions? One problem is that we are leaving Saturday morning so hopefully we can find an unoccupied spot.

Thanks in advance!!

Does this condom make me look fat?
De la Boot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008   #2
Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Might check this thread, never used Wellington but if it is close to Bailey might be worth a look:

Camping around Bailey???

I have never really been able to find good camping around Foxton, most places are day use, no overnight, and the locals make sure you know that

kayakfreakus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008   #3
unfortunately there is no camping down by the river, actually the area closes at dusk. Along 285 there may be some camping. Hit up the bucksnort saloon in pine for a cool lunch or dinner.
thogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008   #4
Parker, Colorado
There are lots of good tent camping spots all up and down the river near Chutes. If you want a parking pad and water, there is a campground in Deckers.

One issue currently is the oxyoke fire that's all over the media today. Some parts of Deckers have been evacuated and I saw some boaters being asked to move down stream on the news last night. Might be worth going someplace else till things cool down? I have camp reservations in Deckers this weekend that I sure hope we'll be able to make it into.

Here is a link with details on the platte campgrounds near deckers:

USDA Forest Service, Pike & San Isabel National Forests, Cimarron & Comanche National Grasslands - Recreation Activities

Here is a map of the area:
USDA Forest Service, Pike & San Isabel National Forests, Cimarron & Comanche National Grasslands - Recreation Activities
billcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008   #5
I always thought this section was off limits after dark, I guess not if you are in a campround. I do remember boating at night after underestimating the length of the run and getting hassled by a sheriff sorry
thogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008   #6
I drove all around there a few weeks back and had zero luck finding camping. We tried to check out this one campground listed on the map near Buffalo Creek but the road was closed.

This is the first time CRC has really pissed me off. It said there was good camping in the area, yet we wasted hours looking for it and ended up driving west on 70 for a ways before camping.
Curtis_Elwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008   #7
Moab, Utah
buffalo creek perhaps

there are some forest service campgrounds (fee) along south buffalo creek road between the "town" of buffalo creek and lake wellington. there are also some free sites along this road that are pull offs from the road, and some looked fairly nice (level and off the road a little with fair shade trees) when i drove thru last fall. when i was driving thru, there were a few hunter types using them, but it was not peak season by any means, so i don't know if they fill up.

if you are looking to run foxton, there is some fair quality whitewater between the buffalo creek fire station (or post office?) by the river and the typical foxton put in at the rock garden, but the rapids are just spread out more. there are also hiking/biking trail ties into the colorado trail and the pine valley ranch park (jeffco open space) off buffalo creek road if you are looking for a non-boating diversion. i never camped at wellington lake, but it looked very commercialized to me when going thru the area (lots of rv's as mentioned by others) - i think they even charged an admission just to visit the lake if you wanted to sit on the beach or take a dip. camping/boating on the north fork side should get you away from the deckers fire activity.
pbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008   #8
Indian Hills, Colorado
There's camping off of Foxton Road in Reynolds Park. I've heard that it's nice enough and it's only about 5-10 minutes from the Foxton run. Reynolds Park Camping - Open Space - Jefferson County, CO

Looks like it's a half-mile hike in...not too far to carry the beer
DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008   #9
There is camping all along Rampart Range Road, just south of Highway 67. This is about 15 mins from the Chutes and 30 mins from Foxton. This area is full of dirtbikes and ATV's, so it's not peaceful, but it's free and legal. To get there, drive a couple of miles upstream from "the" chute, go up rd 40 (which interects the S. Platte just downstream from Nighthawk), take rd 40 to Sprucewood, then follow 67 north/east. Rampart Range Road will be on your right. Check out Google Earth. Starting at the river, this is apprx 4-5 miles of dirt road to Sprucewood and another 4-5 miles of paved to RR Road. Other than that, there's always that one "tent city" along the chutes run.

cutthroat is offline   Reply With Quote