Old 04-13-2012   #1
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Camping in Browns Canyon

We are putting together a bachelors party and wanted to do some camping on the Ark. I was looking at Browns Canyon as I know there is camping on that stretch for an overnight and it fits the drunken ability of this group.

-Where is the best spot to camp in Browns Canyon?
-Can it fit a good sized group? 20?
-Is there a better stretch on the Ark for an overnight?
-I know it will be busy but if someone launches early to reserve the spot do you think we would have trouble finding a spot?
-This is "wilderness" right?
-Is there camping at the Stone Bridge or hecla takeouts in case we are unable to operate motor vehicles?

Thanks for the info, lets hope this storm hit hard. Calling for 2 feet in San Juans!

Creek Boaters Like Tight Boxes
cosurfgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012   #2
Camped many times on Ark (Numbers & Browns Canyon) for guys trips. Are you talking camping at campsite then doing multiple day runs or talking overnight off the kayak/raft with all gear (including firepan, toilet, etc.?) We generally camp/drink at one of the Ark Headwaters Campsites (with boat ramps) then do multiple runs down Browns and other stretches straight from or to campsite. We're going in June (Ruby Mountain) for just that. Best campsites are Hecla Junction, Ruby Mountain and Railroad Bridge for large groups.

There are some other cool unimproved riverside campsites, most on side of road off Numbers stretch. Brown's is only stretch not by road, busy with commercial groups, and does have a few "wilderness" campsites for river-access only that you would come across. Hope that helps...

Camping at AHRA | Colorado State Parks

ssskayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012   #3
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
there are multiple sites in browns canyon that can accommodate 20 people such as hippo rock or browns creek. everything is first come, first serve, so having somebody launch early to secure a site is a good idea. there is camping at hecla if you are unable to drive.
tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012   #4
Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Send a message via AIM to cooldork
The Fractions (class III) is a sold run too...less boater traffic. Little less sleeping options from river too. Railroad Bridge put-in.

Not sure if this is private property or an easement but the grassy meadow "put-in" on river right after the miracle mile could be a possibility. Smaller area but grassy....(highway side too)...

Just AFTER frog rock rapid on river left, is elephant rock and there is a large area that can fit many people. By old railroad tracks...pretty cool, and could be car supported there.

There are a couple spots in browns that offer enough space for large groups too.

Any spot upstream of the Canyon and downstream of any put-in (ruby mtn/fishermans) all on river left has large open spots...

Sleeping Lion is probably the largest, it is river right. It's just after Pink Panther rock (it looks like pink panther) and is just after Pinball/Canyon Door.

Or Just before big drop on river right was well.

Or at jump Rock, river right as well. This has a steep bank you have to 'scramble up' but AHRA has installed stairs for aid of bank erosion.

These three are very close in size and next to river.

If not sure where any of these are I can give better descriptions.
+ pUn-JaB +
cooldork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012   #5
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
There are a couple of other good ones too.

-Just below the previously mentions "sleeping Lion" on river right where Browns creek joins. It is right above Zoom Flume. Stay clear to the right where there is large pool. I think the best spot.

-Right across the river from browns creek (River Left), where a lot of people stop if they are scouting Zoom Flume is is a great spot. It is located in the little jog in the river before the strait away to zoom flume.
SouthernSun is offline   Reply With Quote

browns, browns canyon