Old 06-12-2005   #1
Camping at Forks of the Gunnison?

I'm meeting up with some friends on their way back from Idaho in a couple of weeks. We're running the Black Canyon and Gunni Gorge. Is there any camping at the take out? We're looking for a good place to redezvous. Thanks.

Curtis_Elwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005   #2
You can pay Leroy at The Pleasure Park about $15 or sneak the BLM day use area. Except for the price Leroy's is ok - grassy, table and shelter.

kb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005   #3

Looks like it's $10 per head for a basic site. Might be nice to have a shower before the slog fest. I recently got busted camping at a NPS day use area along the Ocoee, so I'll forego the guerilla camping for a while.
Old 06-15-2005   #4
crested butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Send a message via Yahoo to milo campground around!!!....

....i would highly recommend meeting at the NORTH RIM CAMPGROUND($10) and driving to Leroy's in the AM.....the trees are up to 900 yrs old, the views and exposure are unmatched.... new toilets and drinking is just another 30 mins or less from Leroy's.... going east towards hotchkiss....then veer south following sings to BLACK CANYON NATIONAL MONUMENT: North get to look into the portage zone....the 18 footer to the beach camp is visible from the overlook.....good shit.....maybe i could join ya?.....milo
milo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005   #5

Thanks for the beta. We may just camp there. You're more than welcome to join our crew. It's getting kind of big, so we'll be going slow. I think we have 8 now and will be capping it at that unless you want to join us. Not sure what your schedule is, but we plan to put in on Tuesday, the 28th. We're planning on paddling all the way out the Gunni Gorge. We're packing for 3 days in case we want to enjoy the views more, but if we're moving well, we'll finish it in 2 days. Let me know if you're interested in joining up with our crew. After the Black Canyon, we're hoping to hit up some creeks if anything's still running.