Old 05-09-2006   #1
West of Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Camping around the Poudre

I am looking for back up camping options around the lower Poudre, if we can not score a US Forest Circus campground spot. I thought I saw some info in an old thread about BLM land, but can't find it.

Chief Niwot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006   #2
Arvada, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Tons of camping along the river. It's "wild and scenic" though so you have to use the designated sites within 1/4 mile of the river. I've never had a problem getting a site.

I think you can do dispersed camping up stove prairie road. We used to go north out of Rustic for a few miles then go west up some Forest Service Roads (4WD) and camp. That was about 10 years ago though. Access may not be there anymore.

andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006   #3
there are several places up pingree rd. no fees, but no services. takes you back off the poudre a little bit but can be nice if there isn't too much traffic on the road. pingree is just past kelly flats, i think along the granpa's gorge stretch.
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006   #4
Its almost always a tuff time to get a spot on the poudre. Especially if you want to be lower on the river. Its a great time to be up there. We were there last weekend. All of ansel waltrous filled up. The only other FS campground open is Big Bend a bit of the way up the canyon, and far to be drivig back and forth from the lower runs.

The sweet thing with the low levels is the lack of people. I think the FS opens all the campgrounds around the 19th. They use to keep more of them open, and also earlier in the year.

I believe the lowest non forest camping spot is almost directly across (north) from the narrows campround. A trail led about 100yrds off the highway drivable at the time. Its not the nicest.
Salto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006   #5
Unless you want to pay $14/night for a campsite next to the river Pingree Park Road is where you want to go. Upstream of the Narrows, mostly car camping but not bad, esp. if you get off the main road, all free camping!
poudreraft is offline   Reply With Quote