Mountain Buzz banner

Camping along Cisco to Moab

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  peernisse 
#1 ·
I have a June 26th Westwater, was going to do Loma to Cisco but may be bailing on it if the flows are too high for the group I have.

Anyone have camping suggestions for 2 nights on the Cisco to Moab stretch at high water? I have never done any camping there, though I have done Dewey bridge down (the daily) a bunch.

Thanks!

#2 ·
There are several camping options from Cisco to Dewey, but don't be expecting quite same the pristine beauty/beaches as the Castle Valley sites below Dewey.
Coates Creek is a very large site and has great shade- and probably won't be entirely flooded out. Get a river map and look for where Coates creek joins on river left, maybe 8(?) miles after Cisco. Above that little confluence is an island (although that too might not be visible at this level)- take the left channel and the campsite is on river left about fifty yards past the tip of the island. Huge cottonwoods.
It is, unfortunately, very accessible from some back roads along BLM, so there is a huge firepit and a tire swing. THere were tons of casings and trash there when I took a school group down in May, but we tried to clean up a lot of it, so maybe it's looking a little better. :)
Also- Fish Fords has some sites (on river right, almost directly across from Coates), but I'm not all that familiar with them.

I know there are other sites along that stretch, but those are the only ones I know personally- at this water level it probably wouldn't even take 30 minutes to get to them from Cisco.

#3 ·
Fish Ford is auto accessible and may have yahoos camping out there also. I spent a night camped out there once in mid-July and drifted off to sleep to the sound of a RV generator and woke to the sound of target practice. Even from across the river it was pretty crappy. The deerflies were also really bad.

-AH

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.