Old 08-27-2009   #11
Pejivalle, Costa Rica
Paddling Since: 1993
no to keep building up the g 10 - and after what Acetomato said, I want the g 11 - but the g 10 is 14.7 mega pixel camera. While that means the camera is a little less forgiving if you are a rank amature, once you get the hang of some basic settings that will carry you through 2 or 3 different light situations, the pictures are amazingly clear. At 15 mega pixels, you can blow your photos up to 6' X 8', not inches, feet! Just think, most pros shooting pictures on the river are taking shots with cameras of between 7 and 10 mega pixel resolution.

hotchkiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009   #12
I kayak DH.
Greater tri cities metro area, Colorado
Ditto on the G series.

I shoot a DSLR for my normal work, but my backup is a G9. If you want a P&S that comes close to the control you'll find in an slr, the g series will get you there. Image quality is also only a very small drop down from an SLR, this can't be said about most P&S cameras.

Find a G that fits your budget & you'll be happy. The case that hotchkiss mentioned is a great investment, well worth the $$ compared to most housings.

Have a great trip!
oh btw, if you're thinking about a rebel, just get a **D series instead, much more well built for little more $$. The rebel is a great body for landscapes & easy shots, but it doesn't take a beating & deal with environmental issues like a D does.

Discover Denver, stay there!
Waterwindpowderrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009   #13
St. Louis, Missouri
Paddling Since: 1980
The new Canon G11 looks like a really nice camera. If you're looking for pro caliber shots and don't need it to be waterproof I'd go with that one.

If you want it waterproof and compact then the Pentax Optio W80 or the Canon D10 are the way to go.

It depends on how many shots you think you're going to take in the water or out of the water. Are you in a raft or a kayak. If you're in a raft then you can pop almost anything out of the pelican case and get a good shot. In a kayak it's hard to keep the camera dry all the time.
AdventureCanoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009   #14
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Sweet! Thanks everybody for all of the advice.

I spent about 3 hours reading reviews and trying to figure out what I am going to do. This is NOT an easy choice to make. It's almost as if I eventually just need to get 2 different camera. 1 waterproof point n shoot and a nice G series for the days I feel like carrying around a bigger sized camera.

If I go big I think I am sold on the G10. But, I'm not sure if I feel like having a camera this size for this trip. Plus I don't think I'm ready to shell out the 500 bones yet. I'm kinda leaning towards having the pocket size point n shoot for the ease of traveling. (not that the G series is that big)

Originally I was just going to buy the cheap $200 SD powershot because some friends of mine used it while traveling and it took some great photos. But then I started thinking if I spend $200, why not spend $100 more for the waterproof to have when I am kayaking.

I am probably gonna go for the Pentax W60 (maybe the W80) The reason I'm thinking of the W60 over the 80 is because of what the review wrote in They said the 60 has clearer pics than the 80, but the 80 has a better video mode.

AdventureCanoe: Do you find that the W80 has good enough pic quality? Also, the review mentioned the slower focus time... what's your thought on this?
marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009   #15
Telluride, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1492
Send a message via AIM to acetomato
I'm not trying to push you into the G's, but just so you have the info- with the G11 coming out you should be able to get G10's for cheaper.
The combo of both cameras would be great. One small waterproof compact you can keep in your PFD for quick grabs and the G in the boat for better shots when you have a little more time.
I was going to be vague but then I decided to do this other thing.
acetomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009   #16
St. Louis, Missouri
Paddling Since: 1980
I read those reviews. I think that most of it is a little more technical than any of us actually need. The Pentax produces marvelous images and I am quite happy with it. I have the 3 year old high end Canon SD camera, a Nikon d70 & d90 and my dad has a Nikon D300.

The image quality on the Pentax is a little better than the old Canon point and shoot and not quite as good as the newer big Nikons. That said, the images and prints are very pleasing and unless you take a photo with every camera and compare them side by side I think you'll like it.

Image quality is less a function of megapixels and has more to do with post processing and noise. The new G11 is 10mp the G10 is 15... Canon made a bold move with that but I think the images will be better. I think the same is true for the W60 vs W80... less pixels equals less noise and a cleaner image.

I would avoid the Fuji WP like the plague its pretty much worthless across the board.
AdventureCanoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009   #17
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Sweet. Thanks again for the advice. I'm buying the W80 for my quick little point and shoot and then maybe later this winter I will buy a G10, or 11.
marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009   #18
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Oh man, the kayak vacation trip camera selection. It has no good answer. Good thing you're not looking to bring a camcorder as well.

You want a nice small pocketable camera so you can bring it with you everywhere and forget about it, but you inevitable sacrifice picture quality over a larger camera. I was in Ecuador myself last winter and carried around a Canon SD870 as my primary camera. For it's size it has awesome image quality and offers some useful, albeit limited manual settings.

However, on the water, I borrowed a friend's Pentax W# (prior to the W60) camera. I took a ton of shots on the water that I never would have gotten had I not had a waterproof camera. The bummer is that the image quality is really poor even compared with the Canon SD. Shooting conditions are tough as well: dark canyons, moving objects, shooting in an surging eddy, pulling camera out really quick to get a shot... I think the newer generation has improved image quality somewhat, but that's still the big problem in my opinion with using the waterproof camera as the "do everything" camera.

If it were me, I'd get the waterproof camera sporting the absolute best image quality, because it will still probably be mediocre compared to the non-waterproof options. I'd definitely lean towards the W60 over the W80 given that parameter. Maybe the Panasonic based on the reviews. Some people don't seem to be bothered at all by image quality though as long as they have a shot, but it tends to bother me if it's significant.

One other note: I found the lack of lens cover on the water a big problem. Or another way of saying it is, lots of my photos had water droplets on the lens despite dunking and shaking. The Olympus seems to be the only one that gives you a cover though and their image quality seems to be about the worst. A lot of people recommend attaching a little shammy or cloth to your PFD to wipe off your lens. I did not do that, but wish I had.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009   #19
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Send a message via Yahoo to jeffy
I picked up a Oly 1050SW for $125. <<---- is the only reason I bought it. It's actually been better than expected. The biggest caveat is that its lens is incredibly slow. It's great in the brights, but terrible in the shade.

I'm a picky DSLR shooter though, and am never satisfied with the images. Most of the pics I've taken from the boat have been in sticky situations where i just want it to be done with. It's nice that I'm not fretting about the camera all day. Video is ok too.
jeffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009   #20
Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
I'd go with the Olypus STYLUS TOUGH 8000- virtually indestructable both onthe water and at 21,000ft. LOVE IT!

"Only the boring get bored...."
ldemuth6 is offline   Reply With Quote