Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 10-27-2004   #1
Teacher, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
California kayaking info needed for a bachelor party

A group of Colorado creekers are going to be celebrating the future marital bliss of our good friend Evan. See www.coloradokayaking.com to find our more about Evan.
To do so we decided that we needed to take him to California to scare the shit out of him (and maybe knock some sense into him) after all marriage can severely limit ones ability to huck!

So I need your help! I don’t know California very well, but we are looking for at least one classic multi day self support class 5 that will be running around May 15th. Not to high, not to low, but just right!

Once the multi day adventure is done, we will also be looking for two things! The first is other great creeks to go drop off of. Preferably only one day in length, and in the class 5 or 5+ range,but if you have other suggestions I am all ears!

The second would be a list of the closest strip joints to any of the runs that you might suggest!

Your help with this matter is greatly appreciated!!
Thank you
Evan's Bachelor party planners

boof512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004   #2
man i live in cali right now in san diego the kern is up about 2 hours north from l.a. then you got the king river right above that, i really don't know whats around this area besides that. My guess is go somewhere up north it seems that is your best bet. all the rivers are dam controlled too, so best of luck to you. I heard there is some sick runs but don't listen to average or beggining kayakers out here unless they are good because, it seems they talk them selfs up and don't give you really good beta.

Full_Tilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004   #3
if you havn't, try boof.com. those guys should be able to hook you up.
Old 10-28-2004   #4
Boise, Idaho
Look at the Middle Feather. That should be good to go around then. Haven't been but to these but the Cal Salmon and Trinity drainages should be rippin' at that time also. There's so much shit there that you just need to pick a drainage and paddle everything. Do go to Boof.com and Dreamflows.com.
ID Surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004   #5
The middle feather is epic - so much white water packed into 3 days that you start praying for flat water. The best multi-day I have ever done. Then for day trips you have the North American, South Yuba, North Yuba, Pauly/Lavenzol creeks, Golden Gate Canyon, and the Emmy award winning South Silver (if it isn't to high) for some 600-700fpm action. I'm sure Orville(sp?) will have a strip club. It seems like a sleazy little town.
bigboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004   #6
Teacher, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
thanks for the beta

Thanks for all the info so far..
Last time I was in Cali, I had a hard time finding free camping.. Is there any?
boof512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004   #7
I participated in a great bachelor party weekend in Cali last year, around the same time. It was all inclusive. We focused on the South fork of the American. We were able to hit the Silver Fork (SIK), South Silver, Lovers Leap, Golden Gate, and then hit up a mellow play run on the North Fork the last day ( iforget the name of the run we did b/c of the night before). The best part was that we were able to go to San Fran and party like rock stars (like Evan needs) and then go hit the rivers the next day. Superb.
We were planning on doing the middle fork of the feather, but I believe it was to high and there were no strippers?? JJ
JJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004   #8
Wydaho, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1996
Patrick, give Daniel a call--he has told many entertaining stories of Tahoe bachelor parties. If you need his number, call.

dvanhouten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004   #9
crested butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Send a message via Yahoo to milo
overnighter in cali

...i agree with bigboater....the middle fork feather will deliver! great scenery....shitloads of rattlesnakes.....and enough rapids to keep you occupied......be careful of flows....the cali book says "life would be interesting at 3000 cfs..." we had 2700-2800cfs and we were VERY glad to see the bridge...32.5 miles(hint> do not under-estimate the last .5 mile!)it was our first multiday trip ever....we experienced more than the "15-20 class fives, depending on who's counting..." as stated in the book! bring a snake bite kit- no shittin'
milo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004   #10

Middle Feather is three long days (if you don't know it) of great boating with one big ass shuttle, and then when you pick your shuttle up in Quincy you can easily get back into Nevada, which is a much better place for a bachelor party than SF If you do find a strip joint in Oroville I would avoid it at all costs.

Hartje is offline   Reply With Quote

california, kayaking