Old 01-23-2005   #1

California is having an INCREDIBLE snow year, 278% if I was able to read the chart correctly. Myself and 2 others are going to make the voyage the first week of April to Northern California to start the 2005 paddling season off on a high note. Temperatures that time of year are around 60-70 degrees and this year the water should be BIG!
I'm sending this note out to welcome those that have an interest in going. We have room for at least 3 more. All you need is your boats (play and creek), a sleeping bag and a willingness to tap into what could be some of the best boating you will ever experience. You will only need to pay for food and any extra-curricular's you need. I have already arranged overnight stays with some friends (showers!!) in Reno but we will be camping a few nights as well. The boating will range from Class IV-IV+ playboating to Class V-V+ creekboating. Don't be discouraged though because California offers incredible boating for every level of paddler and no one will be disappointed on the drive home. I'll list the "Most Likely Suspects" below you can be research them or if you have any questions. Just shoot me an email if you have an interest and I'll expand on the details. See some incredible scenery and paddle EPIC rivers. You will never paddle better rivers for less money.

North Fork American-- Generation Gap- Class V-V+
Giant Gap- Class V-V+
Chamberlain Falls- Class IV+ (great playboating)
South Fork Yuba-- 49-Bridgeport- Class V+ !!!
Donnar Pass Class IV-V+ (some VI @#$@$? )
Edwards to Purdon
North Fork Yuba-- Goodyears Bar Class IV
Pauley Creek Class V (incredible creeking)
Lavezzola Class IV (very fun creek)
South Fork American-- Silver Fork American (Oh-Be-Joyful on steroids)
Chili Bar Class III (nice end of day)
---And Reno's whitewater park, I've heard it's pretty good......

bhodizypha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005   #2
in a van down by the river, California
Paddling Since: 1974
nice selections

Nice lineup of selected runs. Its real kind of you to offer up this Cali trip with us buzzards, and I'm sure you'll have a full truck.
Many sections of the South Fork Yuba have a large # of sieves, and the 49 to Bridgeport section at high water is balzout from the get-go ... it hands people their asses on a regular basis. That section can be a mutha!, The holes on it just never stop! With all the high water, having alternate runs to choose from could be a good plan. (think E. Branch North Fork Feather and its tribs, upper sac, pit river and the coastal range)
Its easy to underestimate the Giant Gap from the putin due to the visual gauge, and once you've launched into the crystal waters of both giant and generation gap canyons, there is one way out ...down. Remember the Donner Party!
The runs you have selected are top knotch. Be safe!
With any luck, some of us might get to bail on work and join you!

kayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005   #3
Boulder, Jackson Kayak, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Send a message via Skype™ to thecraw
I can add (with great pasion!!) that 49 to Bridgeport is a very serious run. And I ran it low!!! I was almost killed by a pourover that didn't look too rough. That drop has been renamed (by my paddle partners) as "HELP ME PLEASE" for obvious reasons.

Also please remember that anything that Lars list's as Class V is more than likely bigger than ANY class V in Colorado. I have run probably 15 runs that he has in his book and absolutely every single run was under classed, some of them (such as 49 to B) was very under classed.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather...To skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... WOW !!!! What a ride!!!!!!"
thecraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005   #4
I was planning on heading out there the last week of april (aprox). we should keep in touch throughout the winter, I was planning on driving and am still willing to if alot of people express intrest, I would amigine one of my friends will be able to bail on work, who knows. keep me updated, sounds like a killer list of water, thanks for the post.
nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005   #5
Boise, Idaho
We did that trip last year. 49 to bridgport sure is serious right out of the gate. We paddled Giant Gap over the recomended flows and it was a handful. I thought it was for sure "Big Water" and that come from an Idaho boater. Get beta on Locomotive first. The prtage at high water took us an hour to figure out. If you go into the Yuba do the Siearra city to Downieville before the Goodyear's bar run. That run is really action packed. I'm all fired up about Cali this year. We're heading that way for sure. Probobly come down there (CO) as well. Have fun!!
ID Surfer is offline   Reply With Quote