Old 05-30-2010   #1
Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
BV area play ???

So I'm headed down to bv tomorrow to run browns. Where would be best the best play @ current flows w/ all the new features in the area. wish I had time to scope em all out. thanks!

Porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010   #2
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I haven't been down to Salida since the flows came up, but the staircase wave was giving up huge loops and mcnastys yesterday. I wouldn't recommend the upper hole right now (have seen people need to get roped out of it, it's that sticky), and the bottom, newest hole is pretty flushy right now, but they did have the BV pro-rodeo on it Friday and Saturday.

Oh, and Browns is big and fun right now. In my opinion the highlight of the trip is the super huge wave train in Staircase...have fun!

GARNA’s mission is to foster stewardship of the resources of the greater Arkansas River region through education, volunteerism and experiences.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010   #3
The next zone, .
Yea I have not paddled the play park in salida in 5 years now.. No need to waste 30 min to drive down there..

The BV park is off the hook.. The upper hole is still kinda stickey but the next 2 are super friendly fun right now. Both are great spots to learn the moves or just front surf..

The lower hole well some are sayin "world class" and she has been compared to the likes of storm door and rock island. I have seen every trick in the book pulled off in the past couple of days and am using the hole to learn the "pistol whip".. She is super fast and the best man made spot on the Ark.. I would say yesterday it was more stompy than flushy....

Oh yea you can also loop in it..

"I feel better than any other time when I am in the mountains and uh I cant explain it ya know...." - Shawn Farmer..........
Jahve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010   #4
The next zone, .
Oh yea and the best play on the Ark right now is up in the #'s...

One and a half is in and as I have said before above 2600 or so the #'s is a world class run so if I were you I would hit the numbers then head to the brew pub and recharge before going to the play park..

Seems to work for me.
"I feel better than any other time when I am in the mountains and uh I cant explain it ya know...." - Shawn Farmer..........
Jahve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010   #5
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
ALL of the spots are good right now!

The upper hole is big and FUN! The pit of this hole can kick your ass, but this is a good thing, I think. It's easy to get out of on the surfer left side. This hole reminded me of some of the big east coast river wide holes... big and powerful.

Staircase hole is fun... hole on the surf right and wavy on the surfer left.

The next hole after staircase (does it have a name yet, redneck??) is awesome. Great meaty pit with a surfer right shoulder to blunt and backstab.

The town square hole is sweet. The center is great for all the hole tricks and it has this sweet little blunt shoulder on the surfer left.

The Lodo WAVE... is incredible! It ain't flushy. It is big, fast and gives up the hugest tricks. See Redneck's photo above.

Enjoy. Oh, and Canyon doors in Browns is awesome right now.
marko is offline   Reply With Quote