Old 01-23-2015   #1
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
Buying a New Boat Help?

I am a beginner/ intermediate paddler on whitewater (started 2 seasons ago). I had a Dagger Gtx but unfortunately I was too hard on her (some gnarly class IV swims) and now she's down for the count. I've been looking at buying a new boat, and it has come to my attention that a friend of mine is selling his Pyrannha Ammo for $450. Question is, is this a good boat for an intermediate river runner? I do mostly whitewater (class II-IV, but would love a V in the future) and don't really do much playboating. I was looking around for a creek boat, but I don't have the money to spend on one right now. Thoughts? Opinions?

The boat is in great shape, and 3 years old.

Malynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015   #2
Steamboat, Colorado
I was super duper interested in getting an Ammo- it looks like a super duper fun boat... I'd probably still get one if I had the money and the opportunity to get one... but the timing was wrong and I ended up getting a Burn that I think I'll enjoy just as much.
That being said, I haven't actually paddled either yet.

It's a good day to be a duck....
soggy_tortillas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015   #3
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 2014
I would check out a LL remix or a Dagger mamba
jjeco5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015   #4
Enfield, New Hampshire
Paddling Since: 1990
The above poster said it. Either of those would be miles better than an ammo.
JIMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015   #5
Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
I looked at getting an Ammo once too. Tried it out, but it just didn't really feel right. It's not a playboat and yet I didn't find it stable at all. I'd think that $450 would be a little pricy for that boat unless you got a paddle and all the gear that came with it too. But that's just me, I know several folks who have liked them.
Please take a look at my Photo Web Gallery.
I also have here some gear reviews (that I might update soon).
rivervibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015   #6
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I paddled a small ammo for years, and it was great for downriver play and technical, low flow boating, but I put a hole in it and replaced it with a medium burn. $450 is too much. $350 is a fair price if its in descent shape.
GARNA’s mission is to foster stewardship of the resources of the greater Arkansas River region through education, volunteerism and experiences.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015   #7
surrounded by mountains, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1981
Seriously, ... just buy a JK Karma. You won't regret it at all. There are some on the swap. Small is good up to 155 lbs. Medium if over that and/or planning to do multi-day trips.
No risk, no reward. It is not that we have to, it is that we get to. Preparation and education are essential to self-confidence and success. - KV
"If there is no risk there is no adventure."- Bill Briggs
Ken Vanatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015   #8
Bloomington, Minnesota
Paddling Since: 2014
Originally Posted by Ken Vanatta View Post
Seriously, ... just buy a JK Karma. You won't regret it at all. There are some on the swap. Small is good up to 155 lbs. Medium if over that and/or planning to do multi-day trips.
Never fails! Did you even read his first post?

As to the OP keep your eyes open for a used river runner / creeker that has been manufactured in the past 5 years and you'll be fine. I picked up a used Nomad in Denver for under $500 when I was there in December. Just be patient if you are looking to save money. Keep looking on here and Craigslist, you will find something!

snwbdr94 is offline   Reply With Quote