Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 11-13-2008   #61
SE, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1986
Okay. Chem 101: write an equation showing the inputs (water, catalyst, current) and outputs (hydrogen, oxygen). With volumes.

To repeat: If the unit doesn't consume an appreciable amount of water, how can it generate enough hydrogen to produce energy when burnt in the engine?

Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008   #62
SE, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1986
Back to the chase. . .

Looking at the maps, I'd say that the Vernal area is buggered: total capture by O&G forces. On the ground, this means that virtually everything north of Nine Mile Creek (the first drainage on the right below the Sand Wash put-in) is open for leasing with standard stipulations: Drill, Baby, Drill. So those spills, drilling fluids, condensate, surface run-off, and whatever nasty shit will end up in the Green River near the put-in and above.

The boundary between the Vernal and Price areas (roughly Nine Mile Canyon, which you drive through if you shuttle a car from Sand Wash to Swasey's) is basically open with timing stipulations. (Anyone who's dealt with BLM knows that once the plan is approved, they waive stipulations at the drop of a corporate cap.)

Click image for larger version

Name:	PriceBLM-O&G.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	136.8 KB
ID:	878

Click image for larger version

Name:	O&G map legend.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	23.9 KB
ID:	879

What really makes me feel like thumping bureacratic ass is that they used green for the area open to drilling and jet black to indicate the area allowed to remain in something resembling a natural state: closed to drilling but open to boating, wildlife, vegetation, etc.

I studied cartography and have made maps such as this. The perversity of that color choice pretty much sums up what's wrong with the BLM.

Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008   #63
Oil rigs are like zits on the face of America!

Look once you put a rig on a site itís been changed for ever! Oil and gas exploration requires a lot of roads every drill site requires a road and a gas pipeline to move there product and it looks like hell. Once the natural gas runs out the damage remains, these sites are going to be around for ever. We only have enough oil and gas to supply this country for the next sixty years and what happens after that? We look around and see how we trashed our country!
Oil and gas rigs contaminate the ground water, they look like shit and they let poisonous gases out of the ground and in to air like H2s that are heaver then air and would stink up low lying areas like Desolation Canyon.
The oil companies lowered the gas prices to make the Bush administration look better for the election. Now that they lost and as soon as the economy starts to roll again we will be paying $5.00 at the pumps donít worry its coming. As far as driving to go paddling goes boaters should live closer to where they like to paddle. When I moved from Denver to the mountains I went from filling my tank twice a week to filling my tank once every other week. Live closer to where you like to play! Whose side are you on?

Originally Posted by caspermike View Post
to be honest if anyof us were truely enviromentally savvy we would not drive to any creek besides public transportation or electric car, not happening.

70 percent of what the US uses and needs is imported. what do you think we should do now to decrease our demand for foreign oil? not drive ever again> looks like you won't see desolation that fourth time. brainiac out

Tbird is offline   Reply With Quote