Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 03-27-2008   #1
Buena Vista WW Park gets polished & is at 600cfs

The Buena Vista Whitewater Park in Colorado just received an incredible spring cleaning and tune up. Thanks to Mike Harvey of Recreation Engineering and Planning aka http://www.wwparks.com/, the town of Buena Vista, http://www.buenavistaco.gov/ and Chaffee County, http://www.chaffeecounty.org/ we were able to work on all 4 in stream features last week. The result is much improved hydraulic performance for boaters, cleaner lines, and an over all safer and more fun environment for all............................................... .
More details and photos at

bvwp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008   #2
Denver via GJ, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Looks like some nice clean features. Like the pocket wave concept.

"I plan to leisurely advance through my existence" - Terry Fuhrman 1991
-k- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008   #3
Teacher, Fort Collins, Colorado
Wow, the bottom hole looks WAY different. Cool, can't wait till livin up in BV again this summer!
Buckrodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008   #4
Yes, the bottom hole is now very easy going, way different. It should be super friendly now at all levels.
bvwp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008   #5
The next zone, .
I got a chance to go out paddlin the other day and check out the tweaks to the park. Good job to everyone who was able to get the work done in less than perfect flows..

At right about to below 600 cfs you can cartwheel in the first spot without hitting anything. Too cold to try a loop or anything and I think that it will become more of a hole on surfers right than years past.. IMO no doubt the first spot will again be the best spot in BV..

The second fearure is a mello surf wave.. I still hit bottom at 600 on cartwheels but it should soon be deep enough. You can surf here forever front, back, spin, or whatever.. This is the best spot at the current flows..

The pocket hole is a fun surf but shallow I was hitting my paddle and boat on the "rock". It is still a fun front surf wave.

Finally the last hole is not even close to the same.. It went from a beater hole to a nice easy mello front surf wave. It is quite a bit deeper and way more friendly. At 600 you got washed off if you tried to spin or cartwheel but I did not hit the bottom..

There is plenty of water to enjoy the park so if you are in the area it is worth it to take a run..

Thanks again and the tweaks no doubt made the park better and safer than last year.
Jahve is offline   Reply With Quote

ark, buena vista