Old 04-21-2011   #11
boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2006
We went down to the put in at Indian Hot Springs yesterday and moved all the boulders off the road. Its a little slimy up top, but the drop from the rim to the river is in pretty good shape now. We're 4 cat boaters that are going to put in on 10 May and probably take out on the 12th or 13th. It would be nice to have a couple kayaks with us for 5 mile if anyone is up for it and the river is between 1k-3k. Your going to need a high clearance truck to get there but it should be a great time! if your thinking about it.

fireman9500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011   #12
Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1492
Good to go......

This trip goes great top to bottom at flows up to and exceeding 3000cfs if you are on your game. Have done the J/B twice at or near those flows: magic good fun. Jumbo's Sinclair (the brand may have changed) in Bruneau has done our shuttles up to the top of the Jarbidge several times, and run our friends with rafts in to the Bruneau put-in as well. I would imagine the weather & temps on the upper Jarbidge are still a little chilly, but it's definitely getting to be time to go.
I'm interested in talking with anyone who might be up for a West Bruneau / Bruneau this year. Have done the Jarbidge enough. PM me if you are interested.

So many rivers, so little time..........
WyoPadlr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011   #13
what is the low end of flows for jarbidge in kayaks
BrianK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011   #14
Dundee, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1989
Does that KT guy of Jumbo river shuttles still do shuttles? We ran it in rafts and kayaks back in 1998 right after a flash flood at the put in and that Lawyer chick drowned at 5 mile. Her partner had to paddle out alone to get SAR to recover the body. We stopped at the overlook on the Bruneau on the way to the put-in and saw some people having to rig a Z-drag to get a broached IK off of a boulder.
The river was higher than hell that year too, and we all had serious itch problems about a week later. Lots of wood in the named rapids, lots of rain. I wouldn't change any of it for the world!
Learch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011   #15
Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1492
Originally Posted by BrianK View Post
what is the low end of flows for jarbidge in kayaks
That would have to be determined by your own personal willingness to absorb ass punishment and endless hours of slow-moving boredom. After several years of trips down the J/B and the WF/B, I have decided that my low-end cutoff is 1200-1400 on the Hot Springs guage, and preferably holding somewhat steady. The higher the better. 2700 & 3000 were the best, by far. I'm sure there will be others who will disagree with me, some of them vigorously. That's fine. I like it high in there. I've read trip reports and talked to folks who have done the J/B down at 600 on the guage.... bony.

The Jarbidge really is a lot of miles of small, reasonably quick-moving Class II - III, with a few wake-up rapids and a portage to keep you honest. The scenery is spectacular, and so is the camping, but it's just that much more fun if it's really full of water...... beside, then 5-Mile down on the Bruneau is really good fun.
So many rivers, so little time..........
WyoPadlr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011   #16
thanks, planning a trip for second week of may just trying to figure out a low level cut off before we make the drive out there
BrianK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011   #17
Tenacious B
Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2002
Originally Posted by Favre
I wish I would have edited the above before posting it. It was written six years ago when I was much younger and dumber. Too late now.

After reading it though, I'm reminded of how amazing the experience was.. If you are considering it, I strongly recommend going in. If you can get in on the Roberson Trail, that would be one of the raddest hours of your life. Cheers!

Also worth mentioning, the Owyhee is over 18 grand. I know at this flow, the Stikine Veterans like to paddle the Three Forks to Rome section and sometimes they combine it with a little of the North Fork of the Owyhee upstream of Three Forks. This has been done in a single day. So if you want some very big Idaho whitewater, check this one out.
We hiked a paddle cat and a paddle raft down the Roberson trail about 3 weeks ago and put on at about 1,600 cfs. Its a long day but an incredible way to see some bruneau country on a day trip.
Your post caught my eye, you don't hear mention of that trail much.
Ben Bade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011   #18
lumpy, I am also interested in finding a shutte service. sent you an email
paulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011   #19
boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2006
If Im not on the river Ill do your drop off to the Bruneau or Jarbidge for the price of gas and a case of beer. I live in Boise but its only 60 miles to get to the take out for me. I have a Tundra with a ladder rack and can take 4 kayaks or small rafts and gear max. LP might have a quicker option as he lives down there I take it, it might take me a couple days to arrange something.
fireman9500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011   #20
Bruneau, Idaho
I ran Roberson down on Friday with my friends at about 2700 in hardshells. Really nice flows, everything flushed pretty nice except for the big hole that I "decided" to practice some cartwheels in. I think around 1000 is going to be tight on round boats, it gets pretty boney under that. I have kayaked it around 450 and it is more or less a boulder maze. I am really interested in doing another West Fork if anybody is interested. I ran it last year on the first week of May and it proved to be worth the drive. The Jarbidge is cooking right now, the new slide killed Sevy. It was too low when I got to it, but with some water you are looking at a nice twenty foot drop into so razor edged boulders. It is pretty easy to find, the river gets deep and slow. As for the shuttle, I believe Jumbo is still shuttliing you vehicle, not sure what he is charging. I live three minutes from Bruneau, so I would be happy to get you a ride to the Jarbidge as well. As for the Indian Hot Springs, if I have to drive that road down, I am going to be floating out as my back recovers.

lumpypillows is offline   Reply With Quote