Old 08-16-2013   #1
Browns vs. Gorge at current flows

Tried the search function first, found some low water Brown's info that was helpful, but not much on the Gorge, and nothing really comparing the two.

What's the Gorge like at current/this weekend's flows? Much different than Brown's at current levels? Sledgehammer and Wallslammer main two rapids still? Any other notes/info?

spthomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013   #2
BZN, Montana
Paddling Since: 2008
I think the gorge is much better than Brown's at low flows. The boof at sunshine gets quite good and the narrows has a fun easy creeky feel. The paddle out is long and rough and the rebar is more exposed but I don't remember and terrible unavoidable mank. Brown's on the other hand gets pretty dirty in raft ripper and the right to left move shortly after canyon doors.

The sunshine walked beside her
glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013   #3
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
At really low water, like 250 in Browns, 300 in the Gorge the Gorge is a cleaner run....but at this flow I still like Browns more. It's a half grade easier than the Gorge imo, but I would rather deal with the shallow flats at the beginning than the end. Plus Browns is just so much closer to me (oh, and at really low water the line through Raft Ripper is on the far right.)
GARNA’s mission is to foster stewardship of the resources of the greater Arkansas River region through education, volunteerism and experiences.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013   #4
Thronton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
What about the Gorge in a mini-Max? Would it be OK at 300?
BoilermakerU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013   #5
Colorado Springs Paddling Since: 1983
Originally Posted by BoilermakerU View Post
What about the Gorge in a mini-Max? Would it be OK at 300?
My R2 rig is 6' 10" wide and I've run it down to 230 and still had fun. IMO the Gorge is way better than Brown's at low flows. It's a significant step up though and can be mean - more rocks, undercuts, and crap in the river.
Mike Hartley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013   #6
Florence, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Commercial outfitters were still running 14's around 500 cfs and 12's below that last year. Mini me should be fine and more fun.

formerflatlander is offline   Reply With Quote