Old 07-11-2005   #1
Browns/Seidels Questions??? Please help!

I kayaked Browns in July of 96 and memory is foggy!
I want to R2 it tomorrow with a 14' self bailer or 10' bucket boat?
Any info regarding how demanding the drops are at these flows are would be great!! also any dangers/things to consider???
Lastly what about Seidels? I've never ran it nor seen it! will R2 get munched??

brettb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005   #2
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Scout Seidell's from river right, far above the rapid itself (look for tied up boats and/or path at the end of a long flat stretch) it'll be a nice hike to the overlook. You won't get munched at this flow, just start from the left and move to the right, punching a small lateral that'll want to surf you back to the middle above the main hole. I've seen paddleboats punch it at 1000 cfs and do fine.

When in doubt, scout,

Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005   #3
Look for the "dip" sign

There's a yellow "dip" road sign along the river left side next to the tracks just above Seidel's. Look for this, park somewhere near here on river left, and walk the tracks down to the rapid to check it out. Not far downstream (1/4 mi. +/-) is twin falls, also. Another fun one, and worthy of a scout.

parttimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005   #4
By the time you get to the dip sign, there's not really anywhere to park a raft where it's not going to be in the way of other folks. Just a bit farther up river on the right, there's rocky beach at this level great parking places for the raft and a trail that's very well worn that leads you up to the scouting site for Seidel's. It's less than 1/4 mile hike, just like Andy H said. You can't hike down to Twin Falls from here though due to an irrigation ditch/private property on river right.

For Twin Falls, there is a line down the left bank (about 6 inches off or so, don't hit the bank or you'll spin into the meat sideways) you can hit but it's pretty munchy right now. The right line is a nice ride, not a whole lot to worry about except if you get too far right after the first hit you'll park it on some rocks that could take days to get off of. You can also gut it, but in my experience the boat tacos and people swim. I'm a big fan of the right line at this level.
COTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005   #5
At these flows, a 14' raft will be tight. And I don't think Seidel's is any problem at these flows. Even if you swim, there's a big pool below to find the raft and flip it if you have to. And the pool below is the easy spot to scout from.
stiff is offline   Reply With Quote