Old 06-25-2004   #1
Durango, Colorado
Browns raftable flows??

What is a minimum reccomended flow for a raft trip through browns canyon?

rharries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004   #2
pnw, Washington
They will take you down it no matter what the flow I believe.

gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004   #3
Paddling Since: 1994
depends on what you are looking for. if it is thrills and a splashy wet day, i wouldnt go much under 900 and you'll have to wait for next year. if it is scenery and a day on the river maybe to fish or soak up the sun it is fun down to 400 or so. i have been in there at 250 or a little lower and it seems that the work isnt rewarded. there is one slot, i think it is one of the staircase rapids, that wasnt even big enough to fit the lil' 12'er through. you have to low side and stand a tube up. i think the commercials walk their peeps around while they work the raft through. at this level it isnt rediculosly rocky but the splashes that come over the bow are few and far between. hope this helps a little.
zbaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2004   #4
It's good for a while

I've been a guide on the Ark for 15 years. It's running about 700 right now. It will be there probably through July. You will get wet at that level. Below 500 and you will find some very difficult lines and you really won't get wet unless you're in a small boat. The rapid that the previous post is talking about is raft ripper and there are others below 400 that you will either wrap or have to low side on. Get your runs in now before it get's painfully low.
bradgoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004   #5
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Its great to hear that the Ark will probably run about 700 for the next month. Its still a fun level to run Brown's and you can also run Seidell's at that level. Its technical at 700 but still not a constant rock-dodge. Of course its not the same as when Brown's is ripping at 3K cfs but its much better than bumping into rocks all the way down at 300 - 400...

Zach - what's up with that photo of a breaching Narwhale you've got for your Avatar?
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004   #6
Paddling Since: 1994
thank you very much and i'll ask you to stay out of my personal business.
zbaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004   #7
Marine Biologist
He's right; that old ash oar (before it was snapped in two) resembles the unicorn horn of a narwhale nicely

|^^^^^^^^^^^^\ ||
| BEER ................. | ||'""|""\__,_
| _____________ l ||__|__|___|)
will raft 4 beer is offline   Reply With Quote